Cool Rides Online®
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CRO Addict
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling Up

Default Timing at idle ?

I have the initial timing at 17* but the timing with vacuum line connected is 35*. What problems can happen to the engine with this condition?

CRO Addict
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling Up

I switched out the old vacuum canister for an adjustable one. I adjusted it from 35* to 29.5*. My initial timing is still 17* and total advance is still 35*. I plan a road test later today.

CRO Addict

I took a trip and the throttle was sluggish from a stop. I took it back home and adjusted the fuel air screws. While there I decided to lower the timing on the vacuum canister. I lowered it to 24*. The initial is still at 17* and total advance is still 35*. It is still a tad sluggish from a stop. Other than that, it ran very well and didn't heat up. I may try lowering the canister vacuum more unless someone could give me an idea how to fix the tuning problem.

CRO Addict

I have had an interesting thing happening when I check the initial timing. I pull the vacuum line from the canister and plug it with a golf tee. I get my 17* reading. The engine is running rough, but when I unplug the vacuum line the engine smooths out and when I reattach it to the vacuum canister it smooths out more. Any comments?

Achievements Checking the GaugesKicking the Tires

Doesn't sound quite up to " par "
    Sorry but a little " birdie " told me to say that

OK ... enough golf tee jokes for the moment !!!

Quote Originally Posted by 78 elk View Post
    I have had an interesting thing happening when I check the initial timing. I pull the vacuum line from the canister and plug it with a golf tee. I get my 17* reading. The engine is running rough, but when I unplug the vacuum line the engine smooths out and when I reattach it to the vacuum canister it smooths out more. Any comments?

CRO Addict

A little fun is great, thanks.

CRO Addict

I learned today that the idle timing is high due to my switching from ported to manifold vacuum. It runs better on manifold vacuum than ported vacuum.

CRO Addict

I need to apologize for not explaining the rattle sound is from the roller rockers when the engine isn't getting enough vacuum for the big cam.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasAt the Starting Line

Listen for ping or knock if you hear none may be ok. Ping will often occur under load passing going up a hill etc.

CRO Addict

Thanks Francis. So far it hasn't did that at all.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information