Cool Rides Online®

Thread: GM trans

Blog Entries
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Default GM trans

Justa installed my 421 tri power in my 66 GTO. Replacing the 396 that came with the car. I have a 200R4 w/overdrive I'd like to install behind it. Bolt patterns match. Thinkin the OD will help with gas. Anybody tried this one?
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Default Hey

Started a new album for my 66 GTO. I guess thats how ya add another car here? Whatcha think so far?

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

It looks like it is coming along GREAT! I love the 66/67 Goats. Are you building it for street? strip? both?
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gtdhw View Post
    It looks like it is coming along GREAT! I love the 66/67 Goats. Are you building it for street? strip? both?
    Gonna B street/show. Wouldn't mind a run or two. All these years N only have one pass with the Sunbird. It was @ a carshow. They let us line em up N make a pass. 12.3 111mph on street tires. Slicks N some practice on the lights could improve time.

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Justa6 View Post
    Gonna B street/show. Wouldn't mind a run or two. All these years N only have one pass with the Sunbird. It was @ a carshow. They let us line em up N make a pass. 12.3 111mph on street tires. Slicks N some practice on the lights could improve time.
    Slicks would definitely help. However, the light does not matter when it comes to the time. The run doesn't start until you break the beam. For instance, if you sit there for 2 seconds after the green comes on, you will have a horrible light, but your "time" would still be the same as if you had cut a perfect light. BTW, I thought I was doing good with a 20-1 overall record, just to find that the GTO has a 46-1 record by itself! After reading that, I'm just glad to have pulled a draw against it! It is one "Cool" ride that's for sure.
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Achievements At the Starting LineKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - November 2012CRO Ride of the Month Winner - November 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Justa6 View Post
    Justa installed my 421 tri power in my 66 GTO. Replacing the 396 that came with the car. I have a 200R4 w/overdrive I'd like to install behind it. Bolt patterns match. Thinkin the OD will help with gas. Anybody tried this one?
    You're gonna have to have that trans built to handle the HP. 200-4R's were never used on big block motors. They can be built pretty tough, but if you install that stock it won't last.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrannyMike View Post
    You're gonna have to have that trans built to handle the HP. 200-4R's were never used on big block motors. They can be built pretty tough, but if you install that stock it won't last.
    Was surprized it bolted up and the torque converter bolted up too. Never dreamed of installing without some beef. Its already missing 1st gear. My shop is sayin 1200.00 to rebuild. Thinkin I could get out much cheaper with a Stick setup even if I have to buy all parts. Or a 350/400???? Saving around 500.00 Hell thats 2 tanks of gas!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gtdhw View Post
    Slicks would definitely help. However, the light does not matter when it comes to the time. The run doesn't start until you break the beam. For instance, if you sit there for 2 seconds after the green comes on, you will have a horrible light, but your "time" would still be the same as if you had cut a perfect light. BTW, I thought I was doing good with a 20-1 overall record, just to find that the GTO has a 46-1 record by itself! After reading that, I'm just glad to have pulled a draw against it! It is one "Cool" ride that's for sure.
    I've been sittin here tryin to figure out what your talkin about with the records?? LOL guess I've never looked @ the won/lost. I've never checked the results of any challenges before. I had no idea we tied...Good Challenge! There are alot of Pontiac's there, guess thats a good thing. LOL

Achievements Checking the GaugesKicking the Tires

If you really have your heart set on an automatic overdrive look for a 87 and up 700r4 or early 4L60 that has a cable not 4L60E. You can buy the parts for $500 or $600 and rebuild it yourself with upgraded parts. Also install a Transgo shift kit and upgrade the boost valves. My Rat had an 86 700R4 that went south. I found a 91 4L60 and done it myself. Not hard just take your time and follow the manual.
    Trannymike is right about the 200r4. In stock form the big block torque will destroy it pretty quick if you start putting the hammer to it. Even built it still has its limits.

A couple of sites to check out and both have a good reputation
    http://www.700r4l60e.com/
    http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/inde...FQ8hDQod3V51IQ

Blog Entries

Default Thankz

Everythings on hold right now til I can get this shoulder workin again. Did get an offer to use a paint booth this winter. Thinkin the $$ might be headed in that direction next.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information