Cool Rides Online®
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CRO Addict
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling Up

Default How to check fuel pressure

I've never checked fuel pressure on a mechanical fuel pump going to a carburetor. What procedure do I use? Any help is appreciated.

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpKicking the TiresChecking the GaugesAt the Starting Line
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2014CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by 78 elk View Post
    I've never checked fuel pressure on a mechanical fuel pump going to a carburetor. What procedure do I use? Any help is appreciated.
    My only suggestion is to add a fuel pressure gauge to your carb feed line. You can add one to your fuel pressure regulator if you have one or you can buy a brass fitting that you can splice into your carb line.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/m...Fdc7gQodPbcFhA

or maybe go rent one of these from auto zone?

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...lse&model=fuel

package deal

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-297.../dp/B00093CL3M

CRO Addict
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling Up

Thanks. I never did one before. After it's spliced in, should the engine be running or by just turning it over?

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpKicking the TiresChecking the GaugesAt the Starting Line

Thanks. I never did one before. After it's spliced in, should the engine be running or by just turning it over?
    You'll want the engine running, you'll have zero pressure on a non running engine with a mechanical fuel pump.

CRO Addict

Thanks 360Rocket, you help is much appreciated.

anytime my friend

CRO Addict

I finally got around to testing it. It read 9-9.5. That's to high for a mechanical pump, isn't it?

I finally got around to testing it. It read 9-9.5. That's to high for a mechanical pump, isn't it?
    what kind of carb? I would like that kind of fuel pressure.

See if this data helps any?

http://documents.holley.com/techlibr..._tech_info.pdf

and here is the info on fuel pressure if you are using an Edelbrock carb. Page 8 of the Edelbrock owners manual.

Fuel Pumps and Pressure
    Avoid extremes in fuel pressure. At IDLE, there should not be any more than 6.0 psi; if the vehicle has an adjustable fuel-pressure regulator, set it to 5.5 psi. With most fuel pumps the minimum fuel pressure is encountered at high rpm and WOT. Fuel pressure should not drop below 2.0 psi. If it does, a fuel pump with more capacity may be required. Note that some later model vehicles (the 5.0L Ford is one example) have mechanical pumps that will give more than 6.0 psi at idle. The vehicle will perform well, but may be prone to stalls on quick turns and stops with the clutch disengaged. If this problem occurs, check the fuel pressure. If it is more than 6.0 psi at IDLE, it should be reduced through the use of a regulator, such as Edelbrock #8190, or by creating a restricted by-pass bleed to the fuel return line. Edelbrock Street Fuel Pumps are highly recommended for all Edelbrock Performer Series carburetor installations.
    Always use a filter, such as Edelbrock #8873 between the pump and carburetor. Note that a good filter is large in area, so it may be able to transmit a significant amount of heat to the fuel. It is a good practice to keep the filter away from heat and not allow it to come in contact with any part of the engine.

CRO Addict

Thanks. This is a Holley Street Avenger. Holley told me it shouldn't be over 7 lbs. I just looked at a new one, which stated it was 5- 8.5 lbs. That doesn't look like a solution.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information