Cool Rides Online®
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Burning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO ChampionSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2014CRO Member of the Week

Default ****Week of December 12th Contest 2 Days Late***

Hello all. I am taking over this weeks contest question so sorry that it is late. Just worked it out with Bruce last night and this morning. He will be deciding on a prize later on and we will let this run until Sunday since it got a late start.

Ok here is this weeks question. It is or soon shall be winter in the states and north of the border to any of our Canadian members. What do you do to occupy your time over the winter when you look out the window and only see snow or the temperature is at 20 degrees or less? Now technically this does not count for our southern members because you can play with your ride all the time but I guess you can get in on the contest too. Who knows. It may get down to 50 degrees in Florida.

So lets hear what you come you come up with to counter cabin fever when there are no car shows or car cruises to go to. Good luck

CRO Addict
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling Up

I'm working on the carburetor of the El Camino and interior door panels. I also have a 4 wheeler and a three wheeler that I hope to get running again.

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - September 2010

Oh yeah, winter project(s)!
    Right now, I'm rebuilding and painting a Model T bodied go-kart for a friend, it is for his granddaughter. it will be pink with silver pearl ghost flames and black fenders. So far, I have made new bumpers, took off the old clunky go-kart looking bumpers and made smaller nerf bar bumpers. I also re-made the front windshield, it was double stack Model T style, I made it a single style and narrowed it 4 inches to fit the cowl better. Just got the body and fenders in primer last weekend, will be ready for paint next week. I should be finished by mid-January, as it will be entered in an indoor show late January.
    I'll post some pictures in the Projects side of the forum later.
    After the show, I'll start on my roadster, I'm changing the front drum brakes from 1949 Chevy to 1951 Chevy which is a much better design. I'll also put new king pins in while I have it apart. I also will re-paint the firewall as my master cylinder leaked brake fluid. Gonna be a busy winter!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Model T.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	42189
    Last edited by 26HotRod; 12-15-2016 at 01:30 PM. Reason: add picture

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineChecking the GaugesKicking the Tires
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - December 2014303 Featured Ride - August 2014CRO Member of the Week

OK, so I guess I qualify as one of those "southern members". I live in Pensacola Florida which means that we do get a freeze once in awhile but mostly we are able to take the rides out all winter. I do have goals that I'd like to accomplish over the southern winter. Now that the Mustang is done I'd like to rebuild my checking account, which took a serious hit during the build. The garage will be repainted to get rid of the red tint from painting the Mustang in there. The bike is going to get repainted and I'd like to get my golf game back below triple digits. I'd like to get these things done while working in a fair amount of old man afternoon naps. Of the things I have listed the only thing I'm sure will get done is the afternoon naps.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the GasAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO Champion - November 2014ISO-HEET Featured Ride - May 2012CRO Member of the Week

Like vett69tri, as far as being able to make the most of our car and bike hobby I am blessed to live in the sunny state of F-L-A, but, and there's always a but, right? ... not lucky in everything- hence my goal which is, and has been- since hurricane Matthew wreaked its ugly head on Florida's east coast- to get our house to where it was before the storm.

Not an easy task - lotsa damage.

Name:	Evac Warning.png 
Size:	265.1 KB 
ID:	42194
    Drive fast and leave a sexy corpse

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Here in the mitten, we JUSTA bundle up and go play anyway.

Name:	Model T in the snow.jpg 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	42196
    Name:  party0052.gif
Views: 32
Size:  2.9 KB
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineChecking the GaugesKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO Champion - ChampSYE! Featured Ride - September 2012CRO Member of the Week

Obviously work on the rides and the bikes, that is a given.

But other things that I do is contact magazines. Winter is an EXCELLENT time to get your ride in a magazine! You have a MUCH better chance of getting in a magazine during the winter months than when the editors have plenty of material to choose from from going to so many shows.

Plan upcoming spring and summer events. This is also an EXCELLENT time to contact companies for door prizes and other freebies since most of the shows are already gone and forgotten about.

Always making plans of photos I want to take concerning my rides and making plans of places or things we want to do when the weather warms up. Anticipation is a great motivator to search out events that are posted online or in magazines.

Winter is a great time to ENTER contests!

Winter is also a great time to get tattoos! Since they won't be exposed to sun they will heal much better and it is a lot easier to care for them when you don't have to cover yourself up when it is 100 degrees outside!
    When you want something bad enough, the whole universe conspires to give it to you.

Achievements Burning TiresAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Featured Ride - September 2012CRO Ride of the Month Winner - September 2012CRO Member of the Week

Cool

Well New England is dealing with snow again this weekend so I'll be out Plowing and Snow Blowing...

That's kind of what we do in the Winter in New England

I have a bunch of stuff planned for Matilda this winter, I've got a new BeCool Radiator System to give her, I've got a 4 wheel disc brake system and a long list of little things to do to her this winter...

Again this all depends on the snow, if I have a lot and need to repair the plow/truck I can't tie up the repair bay... It ends up being a catch 22, can I work on Matilda between storms and have it moveable if need be or is my pain level even going to let me do work, ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG...

OH Well, enjoy your Winter All...
    BCA # 45934 / Central New England Chapter / BCA
    Central New England Chapter / BCA - Membership Coordinator / Recording Secretary
    BPG # 2313 / Northeast GS/GN Club / Buick GS Club of America # 2943

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Known Member
    Achievements At the Starting LineChecking the GaugesKicking the Tires

I have a hobby restoring wood and Bakelite/plastic steering wheels. It's tedious but bringing something destined for the trash can and bringing it back to useful life is very rewarding. Obviously my hobby includes a lot of sanding, bonding, more sanding, and usually a lot of sweating. I, too, live in Florida (well represented on CRO) and the summer heat and humidity takes its toll. So the "winter" in FL is my opportunity to actually complete some projects without having to ring out my shirt when done. I've got plenty of Nardi's, a Les Leston, and a few banjo wheels to tackle in the relatively cool months ahead.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Burning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO ChampionSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2014CRO Member of the Week

Ok I left this run until late Sunday. Time is up. I have chosen DavidC77 for the win this week. Bruce will be letting us know what he wins.

Now to let everyone know what I will be doing over the winter. I will be running up and down steps taking our new puppy out to the bathroom about every 30 minutes. Also cleaning up messes if I do not get to him in time. Thank you 303 Spot Cleaner.

Hoping to do some work to the van if I am able to but it depends on how I feel. I will also be spending time getting spinal injections to try an alleviate the pain from the cyst on my one vertebrae. The last one only lasted 2 weeks. They are supposed to last 2 months. Trying to keep our of another spinal surgery. At least until the fall now.

But anyway, Congrats David.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information