Cool Rides Online®
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Buckling UpAt the Starting LineKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog Contributor

Default Week of Sept. 5 Giveaway Question

HAPPY LABOR DAY!

Labor - WORK - Productivity - one of the things that makes American GREAT!

This week, we'd like to hear about your WORK - on your COOL RIDE, OF COURSE!

Tell us about some WORK you've done on your Cool Ride. Can be current, can be in the past. Tell a story, paint a picture, post photos.

The winner will receive a cool tool that the winner and I will select together.

Looking forward to seeing your WORK!

HAPPY LABOR DAY!
    Bruce Kaufman
    PR & Event Marketing Manager, Gold Eagle Co.
    www.goldeagle.com
    President, U.S. Lawn Mower Racing Association
    www.letsmow.com

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - September 2010

So many memories working on my 1926 Ford Hotrod. About March of this year, the throw-out bearing in the clutch started chattering, I asked my 12 year old grand-daughter if she would like to help me pull the tranny and replace the throw-out bearing, she said sure! wow, I have been showing her how to work on things like changing oil, changing brakes, etc. This was going to be a big task! She's has grown up with the hotrod, I've always told her she will need to learn how to work on it, take care of it, in the future it could be hers.
    Back to the throw-out bearing, I showed/described what tools we will need, and proceeded to put the car on jack stands and start taking the cross member, drive shaft and tranny out. She was a huge help! I described to her what the different parts do on the drive train, how the clutch works, how the drive shaft connects to the rear end.
    We got the throw-out bearing out, went to the parts store and bought a new one, put it all back together in the same weekend, spent quite a few hours together working in the garage, on the hotrod....Wow, what a special time for me to spend with my grand-daughter...it was so great!
    I have started a tool box for her with her own tools...she knows the basic screw drivers and wrenches.
    Our next big project on the hotrod is changing the front 1949 Chevy drum brakes to 1954 Chevy drums. Will need to change backing plates and brake shoes, as well as putting in new king pins. This will be our winter project.
    Here is a picture she took of the hotrod:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150208_133156.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	741.9 KB 
ID:	41279
    She has rode in the hotrod since she was little bitty, she still likes to put her hand on mine when I shift gears and say "Go faster Papaw!"

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpKicking the TiresChecking the GaugesAt the Starting Line
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2014CRO Member of the Week

Default My labor day weekend project

So I have an open element air filter lid in order to take advantage of the open scoops on the hood of my 1970 GTO. I want to have the 455 HO call outs as seen on a stock 455 HO car. So my plan is to cut out of aluminum sheet stock the same dimensions as the decal, adhere the decal to the plate and then attach the plate to the open element air cleaner lid as pictured below. Its a small project, but I believe its the little details like this that separate you from the other guys.Eventually I will also purchase the 68 Ram Air pan to seal all of this 'Ram Air" to the hood. Enjoy Labor Day gang.

CRO Addict
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling Up

Attachment 41280 Attachment 41281 This is a story of a father son project in reverse. My son was given a 73 El Camino SS by his grandad. He rebuilt the 350 engine in his high school class. A couple years passed and the 73 falling apart from rust. My son went to a farm sale and bought this 78 El Camino for $500.00. He removed the 305 from the 78 and replaced with the 350 from the 73. At this time we we living in Vale OR. He graduated and got a job in Portland OR. He got in a small fender bender and brought the El Camino back to Vale. He decided that he wanted a newer car and bought a 95 Pontiac Grand Am. We had just lost the farm so I offered to buy it from him. I had always wanted to try car restoration and this was so I could get experience. This was in 2003. The transmission was a 350 and I replaced it with a 200R4. A neighbor gave me a 79 Malibu, which I used for body parts. I found a book by Larry Lyles called Revive Your Ride. This book and the kind people in the car sites have guided me along with my son. Many body parts have been used in my education. I once told my son, if I replaced a few more body parts, we would have a new car. When I had it painted, the owner and painter told me I had done a good job on the body work. We are still working on replacing parts of the interior which my wife has been doing well with it. This has taken a full circle, My son has offered to come over and help replace the rear gears. So this is a family project. I hope when that is completed, that we may take it to the drag strip and play. My son is to get his El Camino back. The first picture shows some of the body damage and the second picture shows the engine he built. the last picture shows what it looks like today,still not finished.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SIMG0085.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	41282
    Last edited by 78 elk; 09-06-2016 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Left information out

Blog Entries
    Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO ChampionSYE! Featured Ride - October 2011CRO Member of the Week

June of 2010 turned out to be a bad month for me. I was attending a cruise in Pennsylvania and as I was turning into the parking lot, unbeknownst to me, the light changed and I was hit by another car. Because the light changed it was my fault. The damage did not appear to be too bad but the insurance company totaled my custom PT Cruiser. Since I had a lot of money invested in my "ride", I bought the car back from the insurance company and decided to fix it myself. My friend knew of some guys who did body work so I bought another 2001 PT Cruiser and they repaired the car. At the time, I had Chromalusion flames painted on the front end. Now one fender was purple and did not match the rest of the car. That is when I decided to create a different theme for my PT. I decided on an Air Force/Patriotic theme and had half the car vinyl wrapped. That decision helped get my Cruiser noticed. The USAF theme fit in with the US Flag that was installed as my headliner and the red, white, and blue modifications that I made in the interior. That left the rest of the second PT Cruiser. My project was to cut the other PT in half and turn it into a trailer. The cutting part was easy, we removed everything from the back seats forward and tossed anything that I did not need in the back. We also had to fabricate the trailer hitch. After everything was removed, I needed to get the trailer closed up. That is where problems developed. I was counting on my friend's friend to do the welding. That did not take place in a timely manner. So I took control and had another shop to do the job for me. In a week, the trailer was closed up and ready for body work and paint. Before that step, I wanted to do some interior work myself. I installed some 1" x 6" boards on the floor and carpeted it and installed a laminate floor in the center. I also had to fabricate panels for the front and side where the trailer was closed up. I cut these panels out of spare paneling and covered them with fabric. I then had another guy do the body work and paint the trailer for me. Since I had my PT wrapped with an Air Force/Patriotic theme I went with a 9/11 First Responders theme for the trailer and had it wrapped again. Then I took it to my upholsterer to have a USA Flag installed in the headliner and paint the door panels to match my PT. It took over two years to get this project done but it was well worth it.
    Attachment 41283 Attachment 41284 Attachment 41285 Attachment 41286 Attachment 41287 Attachment 41288 Attachment 41289 Attachment 41290 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6424.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	41291
    Curt Kimmel,
    The Bruzen Cruzer"

::

Achievements Buckling UpAt the Starting LineKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

I love the responses! Keep 'em coming!

Have a great day!
    Bruce Kaufman
    www.goldeagle.com
    www.letsmow.com

Hi y'all. WORK...WORK...WORK...as in too much work picking just one winner this week...so, all three of you will win something cool! I just need to WORK on what that is.

Congratulations on sharing these LABORS of love!

26HotRod (Bob)
    78 Elk (Richard)
    Bruzen Cruiser (Curt)

I'll WORK on some ideas an and we'll decide together!

Speaking of WORK: maybe you can WORK on some suggested Contest ideas!?!

Please e mail webmaster@coolridesonline.net with ideas!

Thanks!
    Bruce Kaufman
    www.goldeagle.com
    www.letsmow.com

CRO Addict
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling Up

Congratulations to 26HotRod and Bruzen Cruiser on the Build contest. Thank you Gold Eagle.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Burning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO ChampionSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2014CRO Member of the Week

Congrats all on the win. Very cool build stories.

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpKicking the TiresChecking the GaugesAt the Starting Line
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2014CRO Member of the Week

chopped liver here saying congrats to all the winners in this contest.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information