Cool Rides Online®
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineChecking the GaugesKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO Champion - ChampSYE! Featured Ride - September 2012CRO Member of the Week

Question Best thing to wash vehicles with?

WOW, I am starting to feel like an idiot and that I have been doing EVERYTHING totally wrong. I just read the "DIY tips" from 303 and it said "Do not wash car with dish soap". I have been washing with Dawn for years. SO..........Whhat does everyone recommend? I do use a wash mitt- I have one for each vehicle and take very good care of it, same with my buckets.
    When you want something bad enough, the whole universe conspires to give it to you.

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpKicking the TiresChecking the GaugesAt the Starting Line
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2014CRO Member of the Week

The PH in dish soap is not good for paint and DAWN is too good of a soap, too powerful for paint. It strips everything! You can use anything listed as a car wash soap from an auto parts store or even in the car section of say Walmart. Don't use anything like de-greasers either they will definately ruin the paint.(409, Bleach white, purple power, greased lightning, etc.)Keep any product containing "Petroleum Distillates" away from your paint as well.

Meguiars, Turtle Wax, Eagle, Mothers, are all good car wash soaps. I am currently using Surf City Garage Car Wash and very very happy with that product.

Here is a link that can give you tons of information to care and detail your car. Scroll down a bit and you'll find this easy to use.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

This link is from the same site exclusively pertaining to washing and drying your car. They too mention NOT using dish soap.

http://www.autogeek.net/exterior.html

Hope this helps.

CRO Addict
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling Up

Thanks for sharing. That's great information.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Ride of the Month Winner - February 2014STA-BIL Featured Ride - Featured February 2014

Hey Chris,
    I also use the Surf City Garage Car Wash on my cars and it works great. I agree with 360Rocket with what he stated. Wal-Mart or the local Parts stores have a good selection of car washes that you can purchase just not sure if they carry the Surf City Garage line at all of them.

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineChecking the GaugesKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO Champion - ChampSYE! Featured Ride - September 2012CRO Member of the Week

THANKS guys! Looks like I have some shopping to do, including the clay bar Rick recommended.
    When you want something bad enough, the whole universe conspires to give it to you.

Rookie Member

You can read guide to wash car in 2017
    http://carunderstanding.com/how-to-w...r-2017-edition

I am now using Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax and LOVE it!

CRO Addict
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling Up

Thank you for your great tips on cleaning our rides.

Rookie Member

Aside from using the correct products, following the right steps to wash your car is important. I do the 2-bucket wash method to avoid marring the paint.

CRO Addict

That's cool. What is the 2 bucket system?

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information