Cool Rides Online®
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CRO Staff
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements At the Starting LineChecking the GaugesKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO Champion

Smile About to hit 100,000!

Hi everyone,
    I know relatively little about cars and proper maintenance (outside of what my owner's manual tells me)and could use some insight. My car is about to hit 100,000 miles and i was wondering if there is any special preventative maintenance or care that i should take. The brakes, oil, fluids, belts are all fine otherwise.

Also, how many miles do your cars have? I've been told that they are "old" at 100,000 and "dead" at 200,000 but I'm assuming that that is based on opinion/specific car?

Thanks in advance!

Melissa
    CRO Team Member

CRO Addict
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling Up

My wife's Honda has 225,000 and still runs great. This car has its miles from running on the freeway. About 95 miles a day 5 days a week. I think every brand is different and depends on its use and care. City milage would be harder on it than highway miles. That's my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the GasAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO Champion - November 2014ISO-HEET Featured Ride - May 2012CRO Member of the Week

Some manufacturers recommend the timing belt be changed out at a certain mileage. Check your owner manual for that one. Also, the OM should list all service requirements at specific mileages and/or times.

Your car @ 100k miles is "new".
    Drive fast and leave a sexy corpse

CRO Staff
    Awards CRO Champion

Default Awesome!

Thank you for the input and advice! I found the following quote online: "Now its time to be even more diligent with it. While you can get away with more miles between oil changes these days (every 5,000 7,000 miles instead of the 3000 miles of yester-year)once your vehicle gets up there in mileage then its time to play it safe.
    Its probably best to go back to the every 3,000 4,000 miles oil change at this point."

Do you agree with this? I've often heard that you don't need oil nearly as often as most people tell you.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the GasAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO Champion - November 2014ISO-HEET Featured Ride - May 2012CRO Member of the Week

This is what I agree with ...

Name:  Melissa's Manual.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  57.6 KB
    Drive fast and leave a sexy corpse

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Ride of the Month Winner - February 2014STA-BIL Featured Ride - Featured February 2014

I have always used the 3,000 to 5,000 mile window for my oil changes but then that is depending on where, how you drive your vehicles. Of course the newer vehicles now days gives a longer window for this. But as with any car regular and routine checks and maintenance is the key to keep it running and trouble free for you and should last you for a very long time. Mileage is just a number its the upkeep that makes them last as long as they do. All of this is just my personal opinion but it has worked so far for me.

CRO Staff
    Awards CRO Champion

Default Thanks!

Rick, I totally understand. There's no way your car could stay in such amazing condition without you taking such superb care of it!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Ride of the Month Winner - February 2014STA-BIL Featured Ride - Featured February 2014

Thanks Melissa, for the comments. Just take care of your car one step at a time and stay on it with regular maintenance whenever due and do any repairs as soon as they come up and you should have a great lengthy history with your car. Good Luck....

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cor66vette View Post
    This is what I agree with ...

My experience. Many used cars no longer have them and the people I know go to the dealer for advise on preventative maintenance and fear that they are being taken for a ride when they see all of the recommendations and their costs... hence they go to friends, family and forums for advise.

You Will Respect My Authoritah!!

Blog Entries

hence, that's what this site is all about friends helping out each other and stopping all of those money hungry companies from getting any richer or at least not as quickly, if we can help it.....Gotta love this website and all of the friends on board. Everybody keep it up you all are doing a great job.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information