Cool Rides Online®
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CRO Addict
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling Up

Default Paint removal products.

I have tried a liquid paint removal product, that I am not pleased how it is working. I'm trying to remove lacquer paint. I applied 1 coat, and waited 3 hours, before trying to scrape it off. The paint was tacky and bubbled in places. Even the bubbled areas wouldn't scrape off. I have applied more coats, with the same result. It is still tacky this morning. I thought I would try sanding but as I thought, the 36 grit paper plugged immediately. Any suggestions how I might remedy this situation?

Hall of Fame Member Green Grabber's Avatar
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasAt the Starting LineChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Member of the Week

What did you use? I use the Aircraft paint remover from O'reilly's and it worked pretty good.
    Don't touch the trim!
    Green Grabber,2010 Hot Wheels K-Mart Street Beasts Maverick, 408 Stroker, Scat crank, Keith Black (icon) Forged Pistons, icon Forged I beam rods, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Comp Cams XE282HR cam, Crane Energizer Rockers, 2.02 Intake 1.60 Exhaust, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Quick Fuel 750 DP, TREMEC TKO 5 speed, Steeda shifter, 4:11 Trac Lok

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpKicking the TiresChecking the GaugesAt the Starting Line
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2014CRO Member of the Week

Paint removers are a funny product. I have learned that if you apply them and leave them on for a long period of time the paint can "reharden" and almost return to its former state. I would say apply, wait till it bubbles. maybe 10 minutes and then attempt paint removal. Now lacquer is a whole different beast when compared to today's wimpy paints. Old school lacquer. imron, and amerflint/amerflint 2 paints are harder than uranium. Might do some good to research what painters used to use in the olden days lol.

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/md/html..._stripping.php

CRO Addict
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling Up

Thanks for the great information. I am using Dekote from Eastwood.

CRO Addict

Here is a picture of the stripper on the cab top. the picture was taken 15 min. after application. notice no bubbling in paint. so far does not lift paint even where I sanded to bare metal. I had sanded the area with 80 grit prior to application.Name:  DSC_1314.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  3.16 MB

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpKicking the TiresChecking the GaugesAt the Starting Line

what are the chances of that being something besides paint?

CRO Addict

Thanks for the help. I don't know. I assume that this is the original paint. At 1/2 hour I was able to get the paint off around 40% of the treated area. Didn't touch the primer. The paint removed is liquid like. Pushed it with a scraper towards another scraper.
    Last edited by 78 elk; 08-30-2015 at 06:51 PM.

CRO Addict

I need to change my figure on the amount removed. It only removed about 35%. It seemed to removing it. Just went back my told a different story.

CRO Addict

A little update: it works if I keep applying new product and push the old on untreated areas. But it's not lifting the primer yet.

You ARE going to find the factory paint much more difficult to remove than other layers of paint.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information