Cool Rides Online®
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbe From NC

Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info

Default Newbe From NC

New guy from NC , Randy Cantrell, Below is the story of my car a 1968 Shelby Mustang Convertible..This car was my brother's car, He was killed in 1972..His wife could'nt drive the car cause it was a 4-speed. I had just turned 16 years old and gotten my 1st car,1965 Mustang 2+2 289 automatic..So my brother's wife asked me if i would trade her it for the Shelby and I've had it ever since. Hope you enjoy the history of the car.. Thanks !!

The "Lost" History of # 0301

Every car has a history. Some are good and some are not so good. Some turn out to be quite surprising . . . and every once in a while, the pieces of the big Shelby production puzzle start to fit together.

The Shelby America Automobile Club (SAAC) has been working on the puzzle for a long time. So, as you can imagine, most of the pieces have been layed down.

Sometime ago, I recieved a copy of several handwritten memos in a batch of papers. These papers are part of the Shelby American Automobile Club's collection.

I found one memo quite interesting. The memo was dated November of 1967. It was four pages of notes about the GT350 Convertible "show car" being sent to the Hertz Corporation. The 1968, Hertz cars are documented in the 1997 Shelby American World Registry. The vast majority of the cars were GT350 fastbacks with automatic transmissions and air conditioning. So, I was quite surprised to see a memo about a 4spd convertible. Unfortunately, the serial number was not identified.

I pulled out my registry to look for the possible serial number. Hmmm, that's odd, I thought. No GT350 convertibles listed for Hertz. I knew, I was on to something very special. That was if I could figure out which car it was. Unfortunately, I was running out of clues fast.

I emailed the Shelby Club's 1968 Registar, Vinny Liska. I asked him if he knew anything about the convertible Hertz show car? He stated he did not. [Note: This in itself is very unusual. Vinny is one of the chief puzzle solvers]. I combed the Registry looking for GT350s sent to New York. Production of 1968 Shelbys began in December, 1967. I knew there were only a few cars before that time. I was fairly sure the car in question was # 0301. That car was sent to New York, home of the Hertz corporation. However, there were a few problems. The current owner was "unknown" and I had no way to prove I had found the missing car. Another concern, why did such an early car have a serial number like # 0301 ?

I remember reading several of Kevin Marti's great articles about strange cars. If you don't know Kevin, look at the "documentation" page on this website. I didn't have much to go on, but I thought Kevin may be able to help. Sure enough, the FORD records indicated Shelby American only had four cars at the time the memo was written. Even more interesting, there was only one GT350 convertible. That car would later be numbered # 301. I had found it!

The other three cars were a GT350 fastback, a GT500 fastback and a GT500 convertible. So, in other words, Shelby had one of each model and one of each bodystyle. These four cars were the first 1968 Shelbys built and all were gold in color! The only GT350 convertible would be shipped to Hertz.

AO Smith was a little less than pleased with the quality of the car, so the memo was written. A little more digging actually turned up the owner. The owner, Randy, was quite surprised to hear from me. He was even more surprised to learn the history of his gold convertible.

It would be very neat to see this car hit the streets...the first GT350 convertible built and a Hertz show car. Randy is working hard to get that done. I hope to visit him soon and record some of the details on this unique car.

Here is some information on the first four Shelbys courtesy of Kevin Marti. I highly encourage you to use his services.

The first GT350 Convertible built: 8T02J110577-00301, a gold and black, 4spd.
    The first GT350 Fastback built: 8T02J110578-00339, a gold and black, automatic.

The first GT500 Fastback built: 8T03J110577-00041, a gold and black, automatic.
    The first GT500 Convertible built: 8T03S110576-00056, a gold and black, automatic.

The morals of the story are: It's never to late to track down your history, now is better than later. Cars were not always built in a strict numerical order. Just because you have number one, doesn't mean you are number one.

From the coralsnake.com website under car stories..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hall of Fame Member Green Grabber's Avatar
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasAt the Starting LineChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Member of the Week

Very interesting story behind that car, thanks for sharing it and the pic, by the way, welcome to Cool Rides
    Don't touch the trim!
    Green Grabber,2010 Hot Wheels K-Mart Street Beasts Maverick, 408 Stroker, Scat crank, Keith Black (icon) Forged Pistons, icon Forged I beam rods, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Comp Cams XE282HR cam, Crane Energizer Rockers, 2.02 Intake 1.60 Exhaust, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Quick Fuel 750 DP, TREMEC TKO 5 speed, Steeda shifter, 4:11 Trac Lok

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasChecking the GaugesAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Member of the Week

great read thanks for sharing you did a great job of tracking it all down congrats on owning a piece of history

Achievements Burning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling UpChecking the GaugesAt the Starting Line

Great history on that Mustang, loved reading it, thanks for sharing it's story and the picture with us, and welcome to CRO!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Burning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the GasAt the Starting LineChecking the Gauges
    Awards STA-BIL Featured Ride - August 2012CRO Member of the Week

nice wecome to cool rides
    OLD MOPARS NEVER DIE THEY JUST GO FASTER

Blog Entries
    Achievements Burning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO ChampionSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2014CRO Member of the Week

Welcome aboard and great history.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Thankz for sharing all the info. Beautiful ride!
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineChecking the GaugesKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO Champion

Thanks for sharing, great story. Welcome to CRO.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog Contributor

Now THAT's an intro!

You Will Respect My Authoritah!!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Ride of the Month Winner - February 2014STA-BIL Featured Ride - Featured February 2014

great story love all the info. Great looking Mustang!!!!

Welcome to CRO!!!!!!!

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information