Cool Rides Online®
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hall of Fame Member Green Grabber's Avatar
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasAt the Starting LineChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Member of the Week

Default So you would rather it sits and turns to rust?

RANT BUTTON IS ON!
    I don't understand, for one, my brother is one of "those people" as I refer to them now, he has had some nice rides over the years, a 1971 Camaro, a couple of 80's something Camaro's and currently a 1969 Chevelle SS, the former Camaro's went to rust, and the current Chevelle SS is on it's way, no you can't buy it, he won't sell it, I have built two cars in the last 5 years and during that time, he has done nothing to the Chevelle, NOTHING!
    What make those people like that? I have in my time of messing with cars/hot rods, asked about a lot of cars I have seen sitting up, the answer I always get when I ask if they would sell is NO, sometimes no is followed by "I'm gonna fix it up one day".....that one day never comes around, I know, I have watched a few of those cars turn to rust over the years, sitting right where I first asked about them, most of the time code enforcement gets a look at them and "those people" wind up selling them for scrap, SCRAP! man I would have given the twice that easily, I just don't get it, sell the car to someone who will do something with it, don't let it sit there and turn to rust, I'm sure others see the same thing all over the country, anybody got any secrets to getting "those people" to turn loose of those potentially beautiful cars? I have found it helps for me to drive my Grabber when asking, but then seeing it, inspires them at times also into thinking they will actually one day do something with the rusting heap in their yard, let's hear those secrets...or would you rather let it rust?
    RANT BUTTON IS OFF!
    Don't touch the trim!
    Green Grabber,2010 Hot Wheels K-Mart Street Beasts Maverick, 408 Stroker, Scat crank, Keith Black (icon) Forged Pistons, icon Forged I beam rods, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Comp Cams XE282HR cam, Crane Energizer Rockers, 2.02 Intake 1.60 Exhaust, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Quick Fuel 750 DP, TREMEC TKO 5 speed, Steeda shifter, 4:11 Trac Lok

Texas Hill Country near Garner State Park
    Achievements At the Starting LineChecking the GaugesKicking the Tires

I hear ya all the way! I run into this all the time, this time the one's that have my eye are a 55 Chevy 2dr. and a '67 Chevelle.
    Want a '73 Olds Omega? 2 dr hatch back?
    Wish the right front looked that good. One of my rules, if its been a year and haven't done anything to it it goes on the block!
    Once you go Rat you never go back, unless its Blown!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Agreed, Have seen sooo many end up scraped. That I had made offer's on. ( lots of toys..NOT Justa cars)
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the GasAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO Champion - November 2014ISO-HEET Featured Ride - May 2012CRO Member of the Week

Default Sad comes in all shapes and sizes

Drive fast and leave a sexy corpse

Achievements Checking the GaugesKicking the Tires

People get emotionally attached and have no idea what it takes to bring a car back from the scrap heap.Everyone thinks a paint job will do the trick..As they look at the car,they see the potential.Never realizing what it takes time wise or cash to make it what they want or what it should,deserves to be.Barrett Jackson etc.. has everyone thinking the 1 owner vega in the backyard is a million dollar 1 of none waiting to be discovered..
    I hope to God when i die my wife doesnt sell my stuff for what i told her i paid.

Revving Up
    Achievements Kicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

I sure hear what you are saying. And it even applies to airplanes I've known.
    One guy had an old Piper Cub, a really old one from the late 30s. Wouldn't sell it, and he had the wings, without fabric on them, leaning against the outside of a building. Of course the metal parts either corroded ( aluminum ) or rusted all to hell (steel ). The weird part was the tree that grew up through the tubing on the fuselage frame. It was outside also... When he died, his people had to just scrap the whole works, and even had to cut the tree away to remove it.
    I'm not a Piper Cub fan, but the nostalgia craze made them worth big bucks when in restored, or even in flying condition. So, just another person like the type we are discussing....

Bill
    AKA steelybill

Hall of Fame Member Green Grabber's Avatar
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasAt the Starting LineChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by pila79 View Post
    I sure hear what you are saying. And it even applies to airplanes I've known.
    One guy had an old Piper Cub, a really old one from the late 30s. Wouldn't sell it, and he had the wings, without fabric on them, leaning against the outside of a building. Of course the metal parts either corroded ( aluminum ) or rusted all to hell (steel ). The weird part was the tree that grew up through the tubing on the fuselage frame. It was outside also... When he died, his people had to just scrap the whole works, and even had to cut the tree away to remove it.
    I'm not a Piper Cub fan, but the nostalgia craze made them worth big bucks when in restored, or even in flying condition. So, just another person like the type we are discussing....

Bill
    It's just a shame to let something go like that, right now I know where a mustang is sitting up, they had kept it covered with a tarp but the tarp has wasted away off of it now, I want to ask if it's for sale, but I'm afraid I already know the answer, I may try it later this week, I have heard if you go up and ask someone like that and are driving a classic when you do, your chances get better for a "yes I will sell" answer, I will take the Grabber and ask next week.
    Don't touch the trim!
    Green Grabber,2010 Hot Wheels K-Mart Street Beasts Maverick, 408 Stroker, Scat crank, Keith Black (icon) Forged Pistons, icon Forged I beam rods, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Comp Cams XE282HR cam, Crane Energizer Rockers, 2.02 Intake 1.60 Exhaust, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Quick Fuel 750 DP, TREMEC TKO 5 speed, Steeda shifter, 4:11 Trac Lok

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Ride of the Month Winner - February 2014STA-BIL Featured Ride - Featured February 2014

I hear you on these cars sitting and just rusting away because the person just wont part with it. I see this allo ver the State of Ohio in my travels with work. Ans trust me I stop at all of these places and try to see if the person would be willing to seel any or all of these cars and parts that just seem to be lying around and going to the junk yard rusted grave. i just dont understand their mentality. i know of a junk yard right sown the road from my house that has numerous Tri-Fives just sitting there. i have asked the owner and his comment is "If I have them then no one else can have them and that only makes the ones out there that more expensive and valuable." I understand what he is saying but he is for wrong about that mind set.... We need to restore and save all of these cars so that we can preserve the history of a true Antique/Hotrod/Classic vehicle.

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineChecking the GaugesKicking the Tires
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - December 2014303 Featured Ride - August 2014CRO Member of the Week

Good luck Grabber. I've been trying to buy a 1967 mustang fastback for about a year now and the guy won't sell. He has had the car apart now for 20 years and hasn't done a thing to it. At least it is in a garage and not rusting away. Maybe this year, I keep trying.
    Ken

Achievements Buckling UpAt the Starting LineChecking the GaugesKicking the Tires
    Awards SYE! Featured Ride - April 2015CRO Member of the Week

I agree with ya makes me sad seeing that.my neighbor had a gto rotting away in her yard but it wasn't hers the person stored it there. I asked about it and then the guy came back for it and now is restoring it.

If I could I would like to go in with someone on some theses cars restore them and make a little profit also give them a good home for someone that can enjoy it.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information