Cool Rides Online®
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Default A little at-home-wheel-restoration

The Turbo Z "Pizza" wheels were looking a little rough. The original CC just does not hold up well over time. So yesterday, I decided to see if I could do anything about it. 6 hours later, one wheel is done! I think it turned out pretty well.

If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Burning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the GasAt the Starting LineChecking the Gauges
    Awards STA-BIL Featured Ride - August 2012CRO Member of the Week

Wow very nice
    OLD MOPARS NEVER DIE THEY JUST GO FASTER

Legendary Member gothic_smurf_89's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Achievements Burning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Member of the Week

looks good
    i have 92 dodge spirit rims had white powder coat on them and once i got it off and shine up.looked good except for all the straches
    daytona and etc run them also but without powder coat.had them for over 10 years now
    if you aint breaking it.you aint driven it right.haha

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

And Justa how was accomplished? Looks like you had corrosion under the clearcoat. My DD's rims all cleanup well but still have the corrosion even after sanding polishing. If I could get em lookin like yours, then I could re-clearcoat.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

If your wheels are corroded bad enough, having them professionally resurfaced, or sanding deeper is the only way to get it all to go away. Just like any metal, bad corrosion can only be done away with by going deep enough to get under it. Out of all 4 of these wheels, the spot that you saw was the worst spot of corrosion that I had/have to deal with. I could've started the sanding process with a much coarser grit (say 220, or even 80 if it's bad enough), and all of it would come off, but I would have an "indent" in that sot since more material was removed there, than anywhere else on the edge face. Or I could've done the whole edge face, but since that was the only "bad" spot, I just didn't see it being justified. While it's not perfect, and you have to look pretty hard to see it, some of that spot still remains. But, it's not enough to bother me. Had it of been worse, or all the way around the edge, I would've started with 80, then 220, then 400, then all of the finer grits up to 2000. On these, I just started out with 800....

The bad spot is just above the "A" in Radial T/A, as you can see, from 2' away, you don't see it.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

They look great. I've sanded, cleaned/polished my daily drivers and it usually last about a year, but comes back in the same spots. Even after clear coating.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Thanks man. I don't plan to re-clear for that very reason. I'd rather hit them with the buffer for about 5 min. each every three or four washes to keep them looking like this. Much easier than completely re-doing the entire process every couple years.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information