Cool Rides Online®
    Blog Entries
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the GasAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO Champion - November 2014ISO-HEET Featured Ride - May 2012CRO Member of the Week

Default Is Barrett-Jackson helping or hurting the collector car enthusiast

Personally, I think Barrett-Jackson is ruining the hobby for the regular guy (notice I did not say "little guy").
    So much hype, so much drama, so much TV! ... and so much money is being put into elaborate production to showcase the cars, and so much money is expected to be fetched for the cars on the block.
    They usually only show the big-buck cars so owners of similar cars think they have gold on four wheels in their garages.
    It's just not real! It needs to be brought back to Earth.

That's my take on it. What's yours?

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Champion303 Featured Ride - October 2013

BJ seems to attract the uber-elite / uber-wealthy to the prime time showings for sure. Many cars that they show would still be mega buck cars just the same (like the Super Snake Mustang).

Still, I think you can find bargains in the early (read - non-televised) hours of the auction. I know I see real deals when I watch a lot of the Mecum Auctions on Velocity. I have heard from a friend that you can get bargain cars at BJ, but they are 20 footers and they might not be 100 point cars, numbers matching, or perfect restored. Some maybe project cars at best. Depends on what you are looking for.

So I think you are right, it drives up the prices in such a way that every one thinks their car is worth more than it probably is unless it is ultra-rare or desirable. Not ever 'Cuda has a Hemi or a 440 six pack but I am damn sure there are more out there now than what Plymouth originally built.
    Of The Things I've Lost in Life, I Miss My Mind The Most! I'm Trying to Find Myself, Have You Seen Me Anywhere?

Insanity is Hereditary, You Get It From You Kids!!! I Use to Have a Life, Now I Have a Wife!!!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

OK, I agree to, but was reluctant to reply as our own Gold Eagle sponsors the WEST event. Marcel you do look good on TV.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

I know that I sure do like to watch it every year!

Sadly, the Vega hasn't caught fire in the classic's market yet......lol.
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cor66vette View Post
    Personally, I think Barrett-Jackson is ruining the hobby for the regular guy (notice I did not say "little guy").
    So much hype, so much drama, so much TV! ... and so much money is being put into elaborate production to showcase the cars, and so much money is expected to be fetched for the cars on the block.
    They usually only show the big-buck cars so owners of similar cars think they have gold on four wheels in their garages.
    It's just not real! It needs to be brought back to Earth.

That's my take on it. What's yours?
    I have gone to Barrett in Scottsdale for 3 or 4 years now and loved it every time. Early in the week they have plenty of decently priced cars and they reserve the expensive ones until the end of the week during prime time.

I think it's good because I think that it brings new people to the hobby and people (thinking of value) may take care of their classic cars better as a result. One can always go to swap meets and look for barn-yard fixer uppers if looking to start on the cheap

You Will Respect My Authoritah!!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasChecking the GaugesAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Member of the Week

Lightbulb it helps ,but you have to know what you are looking at

there are allot of clones out there even those that you see going for the big bucks you really have to know what you are looking at,, but I always drove anything I built and say it is a great thrill to drive something you have put into building your hotrod, show cars are just that ,trailered to shows ,,don't get me wrong I love to see them ,but the real thrill is in getting in and finding out what is under the hood ,and putting the hammer down , that's why they are called muscle cars

Achievements Burning TiresAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Featured Ride - September 2012CRO Ride of the Month Winner - September 2012CRO Member of the Week

Cool

BJ is the cream of the crop Muscle Cars...

I'll take Mecum over BJ any day though...

Mecum has regular cars that you and I can buy and the million dollar cars like they have at BJ...

Yes that's about all I see at BJ, way to high priced cars...

Would it be cool to go to BJ, yes, but I couldn't afford to buy any thing...
    BCA # 45934 / Central New England Chapter / BCA
    Central New England Chapter / BCA - Membership Coordinator / Recording Secretary
    BPG # 2313 / Northeast GS/GN Club / Buick GS Club of America # 2943

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information