Cool Rides Online®
    General Administrator Cool Rides Online's Avatar
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

Thumbs up Hemingway’s Chrysler gets a new lease on life in Cuba

Hemingway’s Chrysler gets a new lease on life in Cuba

Posted on April 12, 2013 by PaulDavenport

For roughly a half century, the Chrysler New Yorker served as the carmaker’s flagship sports coupe/sedan. This vehicle is considered one of the best looking models to ever grace America’s roadways. The New Yorker was so impressive, in fact, that it had several high-profile fans who swore by the the 1955 model as their ride of choice. Perhaps the most prolific fan of this lineup was legendary American author and badass Ernest Hemingway, whose 1955 New Yorker convertible was a known menace on the streets of mid-century Havana, Cuba.

It took a while for both Chrysler and Hemingway fans to determine that a New Yorker convertible in a small Cuban suburb that was discovered back in 2010 was actually the legendary coupe driven by the author during the 1950s. However, award-winning travel journalist Christopher Baker did his homework and was able to verify that a relatively intact antique convertible in the small village of San Francisco de Paula was indeed the writer’s whip.

Now, the mystery car is getting even more press as a British documentary crew and a 1970s television heartthrob haveteamed up to restore the car and bring its story to the big screen.

David Soul, the actor and singer best known for playing Hutch in the television classic “Starsky & Hutch,” narrates and stars in this new documentary, entitled “Cuban Soul.” The story follows Soul and a team of gearheads as they struggle to make the restoration a reality. While the car was discovered in relatively good shape, there is one major hurdle that the team faced in bringing the Chrysler back to pristine working condition – geography.

The Chrysler New Yorker is, after all, an American car, and although the Cold War has been over for decades, the United States still has a trade embargo with Cuba. This means that anyone in that country hoping to get authentic car parts for a rare American classic will have a heck of a time getting them through customs, and getting the car out of the country would be an even bigger challenge.

The 1955 New Yorker is such a special model because it was among the first Chryslers to trim down the previously fashionable high roof line of its predecessors and instead feature a more grounded and streamlined silhouette. Not only was this vehicle quite the looker, but it could really move compared to other cars at the time. Chrysler dropped a 250 horsepower Hemi under the hood for the 1955 model year, making this model one of the fastest in the lineup. This would start a trend at the company of continually upping the ante to make cars faster than the competition that would change the American roadway markedly over the next two decades.

“Cuban Soul” is still in production down in Cuba as the team works to make sure that the car is restored to its complete working condition before calling it wraps. And considering the political climate that exists between the United States and Cuba, it could be a while. Whether you’re a news junky or simply a fan of classic car reconstruction, this is a story not to be missed.

Are you excited to see how Hemingway’s Chrysler turns out when all is said and done?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cuban Soul.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	15270 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CUBANSOUL.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	15271 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Featured-blog-CubanSoul.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	15272 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post_cubansoul1-632x356.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	15273 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post_cubansoul2-632x356.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	15274 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post_cubansoul3-632x356.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	15275

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog Contributor

This is a very cool story - two thumbs up

You Will Respect My Authoritah!!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasChecking the GaugesAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Member of the Week

Thumbs up

great reading i did not know about this untill i read it ,thanks for sharing

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

I'd like to follow this story.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justa6 View Post
    I'd like to follow this story.
    When I emailed the producer to give us permission to use their pictures and video on the blog, I asked him to send me updates as the project progresses. Either I or the writer (Paul) will keep folks posted. Looks like it's going to be a good TV documentary

Blog Entries
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Going to be interesting to see how they pull this off without getting in trouble with the GOV.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justa6 View Post
    Going to be interesting to see how they pull this off without getting in trouble with the GOV.
    I've seen Discovery channel shows that have real gang violence, drug use, etc... I'm sure they'll find a way. I would LOVE to see some human-ingenuity and have some parts locally fabricated though. I think it would make it that much cooler

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information