Cool Rides Online®
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Default It's that time of year.....

Time for my Wolfe Scout to defend his title.

Last edited by Gtdhw; 01-28-2013 at 02:56 AM.
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog Contributor

Nice!!! Already have the designs made?

You Will Respect My Authoritah!!

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

I've searched and searched and can't find where I posted the results from last years race. Here's a pic that tell the results/ story pretty well...

First place in his Pack race, First place in his county 5 way meet. I took mine and they let him and me have a run off once the race was over. I got him by a car length and a half, his 2.85 to my 2.75.

This year, he used the saw for the first time. He was very apprehensive and treated it with respect.

Here he is with this years version of "Sanding 102". He decided to take the sanding a few steps further this year, he wanted it to be smoother and shinier than last years car. My youngest wanted to learn sanding too...

He chose a little harder design this year. He decided to copy the one I made last year (with a different front end). I chose almost the same, but decided to cut the thickness of the front of the car in half, and I also chose to try a different front end style. This year, he laid all his holes out on his car, but I still did the drilling.

All sanded, primed, and ready for paint (his in the front).

Paint on. Last year, he didn't have the thumb strength to hold the nozzle down, so we painted with my thumb on on his. This year, his thumb was good to go. He held the can and sprayed, while I guided him by holding on to his forearms. All I can say, is at this rate, he might be painting his Jr. himself! He rocked it! His bodywork (wood putty) on the 3- 3/8" holes on the left side rear blows me away as well! Decals to come after a few days to fully cure. I painted/applied transfers/clear coated mine last night and think it turned out pretty good as well. Again, I won't be racing mine, I just like to build one side by side with my little buddy.

His choice of color this year - Metallic Black.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the GasAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO Champion - November 2014ISO-HEET Featured Ride - May 2012CRO Member of the Week

^ ^ ^ That's a too cool father/son gig. Nice read.
    Drive fast and leave a sexy corpse

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Good times he will remember forever.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Blog Entries

It was probably lost in that fiasco that happened last year when several months of posts were lost

It's coming out great!!! It's funny that the pictures of it being primed and painted are on top of the Hot Rod magazine with a "paint party" cover

Cool

We got 'em done! All ready for tomorrow night's big race!!

Wheels & axles prepped. This year he did the filing, all 4 stages of wet sanding, and both stages of polishing, all himself. His are BSA legal, but since I don't compete with mine (accept one runoff race between him and I), I took mine a couple steps further, just to see if I could do it.

His...(We learned that the red wheels, when highly polished, take on an awesome chrome-ish look when worked with graphite!)

Mine...This year I tried a few new things. I grooved my axles (not legal for him), and I shaved my wheels with only one, inner groove, instead of inner/outer.

I think they turned out pretty good! He has decided that this will be his last year using stickers. He wants to try the dry transfers (like I use) next year.

Jesse's...

Mine...With red wheels and red/white in the transfers, I realized that it was going to end up with a rat-rod look. The shiny paint just wasn't going to look right. So in true-er rat-rod style, I took a 0000 steel wool pad to the paint to give the flat look. I like it!

I think they both turned out great and I couldn't be more proud of my little man! He put forth all the hard work needed (and then some) and I think he gave himself a real chance at defending his title!

Blog Entries

Default NICE!!!

That's very cool! It's great that you and J have something this cool to bond - sure it'll stick with him as he gets older

Let us know how he does in the races

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the GasAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO Champion - November 2014ISO-HEET Featured Ride - May 2012CRO Member of the Week

Good luck on tomorrow's race. You guys done good.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information