Cool Rides Online¬ģ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    General Administrator Cool Rides Online's Avatar
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

Post Keep your headlights clear this winter using basic car wax

Keep your headlights clear this winter using basic car wax

Posted on January 15, 2013 by PaulDavenport

Winter is generally a sad time of year for drivers, as the roads are too slippery to truly enjoy street machines and the short days mean a lot of hazardous night driving. You canít convince the sun to stay out longer and, unless you move south, there are several months of deep freeze left before the ice and snow melt. Still, there are some minor things you can do to make driving a little easier when the elements are acting up.

One of the biggest concerns this time of year is visibility. On a dark winterís night, the last thing you want is to be caught driving blind on an icy back road, especially in more rural areas where street lights are few and far between.

Although everyone knows the cosmetic damage that your car can experience from road salt, this common deicer can actually make driving more dangerous in the winter. Itís true that this substance will melt ice and make the roads less slick, but when it builds up over your headlights, your visibility at night could be greatly obscured.

You also have to worry about snow and ice staining your headlamps during a particularly rough winter storm. Itís not a great idea to stop your car when snow is piling up around you, but if the path ahead isnít properly illuminated, there may be no other option.

A quick fix to this hazard of winter is actually waxing your headlights to make them more water resistant and to remove residue from street salts. Snow will slide right off while moisture wonít be able to accumulate if you make the surface as slick as possible.

Use the regular wax that you would on the body of your car and apply a thin amount using a clean rag. Only use about about a quarter-sized portion, and wipe off with a dry cloth like you would if you were simply waxing your hot rodís sheetmetal.

Do you have any winter driving tips to share?

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

RAINX! I use it year round on all my cars. In the winter it does the same for your windshield that waxing your headlights does. I've tried just waxing the windshield, but the results were very short lived, as RainX lasts about 100x longer.
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Achievements Kicking the Tires

I second that!! Rainx is the best.
    I don't always downshift, but when I do, I do it near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the enviroment!!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the GasAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO Champion - November 2014ISO-HEET Featured Ride - May 2012CRO Member of the Week

This is an oldie but for those who may not know ...

To defrost the windshield quicker, put the sun visors down while the defroster is blowing. This will waste less air and time, and direct the air towards the windshield.
    Drive fast and leave a sexy corpse

Achievements Burning TiresAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Featured Ride - September 2012CRO Ride of the Month Winner - September 2012CRO Member of the Week

Cool

Start the car and let the defroster do it's job...

Keep those Ice Scrapers away from your windshield...

All ice scrapers do is scratch your windshield and that is not good...

I lost count of how many windshield's I had replace after a student started hitting the windshield with the scraper.

When windows are frozen and you start hitting them with a hard scraper all they do is crack...
    BCA # 45934 / Central New England Chapter / BCA
    Central New England Chapter / BCA - Membership Coordinator / Recording Secretary
    BPG # 2313 / Northeast GS/GN Club / Buick GS Club of America # 2943

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Revving Up
    Achievements Checking the GaugesKicking the Tires

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cor66vette View Post

To defrost the windshield quicker, put the sun visors down while the defroster is blowing. This will waste less air and time, and direct the air towards the windshield.
    Thanks, It makes sense.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Wow, never heard of that one, but makes sense. Keep 2 full length roofing shingles in case of sheer ice. Used them to get my daughter out of our Hilly, icy with rain, gravel roads a week ago. With over 20 cars stuck, I helped many get moving again on my journey back home and nobody ever thought of using shingles. Grit side down and don't spin your tires. I remember my grandpa using them 50 yrs ago and always keep a set in the back of my truck for winter. (NOTE...doesn't help in deep snow unless you dig the wheels out!)
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the GasAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO Champion - November 2014ISO-HEET Featured Ride - May 2012CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Justa6 View Post
    ... doesn't help in deep snow unless you dig the wheels out!)
    Deep snow? What's this snow, of which you speak?

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Deep snow? What's this snow, of which you speak?
    It's a well kept NORTHERN secret that we use as a preservative to stay young. Where does that fat juicy T-bone steak last longer? In the fridge or on your kitchen counter? OH NO....I let the cat outta the bag N we are gonna B flooded with southern folk. Well, at least bring your own sno-toys. I LOVE this one...wish it was mine.

The white stuff all over everything is our secret anti aging weapon.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justa6 View Post
    The white stuff all over everything is our secret anti aging weapon.
    I lived in NY for tooooooo long. For me, the only good thing about the NE is being able to say that I live there no longer. Here, on a Feb 8th day, it's about 72 and sunny, with a nice gentle perpetual breeze- just enough to be felt on one's face and through one's hair. Ahhhhhh- Florida in February.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information