Cool Rides Online®
    General Administrator Cool Rides Online's Avatar
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

Default The return of the big, bad American sports sedan?: Chevy close to unveiling new SS

The return of the big, bad American sports sedan?: Chevy close to unveiling new SS

Posted on December 7, 2012 by PaulDavenport

Were you a big fan of the short-lived Pontiac GTO coupe that was essentially the now defunct marque’s swansong? According to reports out of Detroit, GM is gearing up to not only bring back the Australian-bred Monaro platform that underpinned the last incarnation of the GTO stateside, but they’re going to use it to bring back a worthy performance sedan to the Chevrolet stable.

In 2014, Chevrolet will begin selling the “SS,” an abbreviation for “super sport” commonly given to the performance versions of the standard offerings sold under the bow-tie badge. Most recently, Chevy introduced a concept car back in 2003 that bore the SS moniker that was everything a die-hard fan could ask for: smooth looks, wide stance, enough room for all of your friends and an gigantic engine to move them.

After The General filed for bankruptcy back in 2009, most fans lost hope that they’d ever see a production model of the SS concept or any car like it given the new strategy and leadership at Chevy’s parent company. It looks as though skeptics were wrong, however, as GM seems to be not only borrowing design cues from this pre-bankruptcy concept car, but using the platform of what many critics called the last nail in Pontiacs coffin to get it off the ground.

The 2014 SS will debut at the 2013 Daytona 500 as Chevy’s official race car for the Sprint Cup series, and will be on dealer lots later in the year.

Currently, drivers who may have had run-ins with the law lately may have gotten a sneak peak at the new SS, as reports speculate that it will closely resemble the Caprice Police Car Chevy already sells as a fleet model. As well, people who got a chance to get behind the wheel of the Pontiac G8, the Monaro-based sedan Pontiac replaced the aging Grand Prix with during the brands final model year, probably have a good idea what the chassis feels like.

Do you think GM is doing the right thing by taking cues from its past to craft a winner for the future? Leave your responses below:

Achievements Burning TiresAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Featured Ride - September 2012CRO Ride of the Month Winner - September 2012CRO Member of the Week

Cool

Yes I think it is a good idea, we need a more Hot Rod version of each Hot Rod...

Why is this in the Tuners section, it should be in the General Automotive Section, no?
    BCA # 45934 / Central New England Chapter / BCA
    Central New England Chapter / BCA - Membership Coordinator / Recording Secretary
    BPG # 2313 / Northeast GS/GN Club / Buick GS Club of America # 2943

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Achievements Burning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineChecking the Gauges

Were you a big fan of the short-lived Pontiac GTO coupe that was essentially the now defunct marque’s swansong? According to reports out of Detroit, GM is gearing up to not only bring back the Australian-bred Monaro platform that underpinned the last incarnation of the GTO stateside - See more at: http://forums.coolridesonline.net/th....o7mjYhFh.dpuf

Yes I wanted the new GTO as soon as it came out but had to wait a little. Got it now though. These cars have become a sort of "Cult" car now. When they first came out they had a bad style rap. Didn't sell well but if the public would have just took a ride in one they would have sold for sure. These cars are sleeper Vetts. Few mods on them they could do just about anything on a modest budget.

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Champion303 Featured Ride - October 2013

I wanted the new GTO back in 2004, but GM sort of screwed me. I had $2k worth of points on my GM Gold Visa card at that time. GM announced that they would not allow the combination of Visa card points, rebates, and employee discounts after July 2003. The GTO was not going to be out until December 2003 (as a 2004 model). So I would have leave the $2k worth of points on the table. So I ended up ordering 2003 4WD Chevy Blazer instead (I needed to replace my daily driver, it had 150k miles on it anyway).

So I never got the new GTO or a G8 for that matter. I've not purchased a new car since the demise of Pontiac either (my favorite marque). At this point, given the price of new GM vehicles, I don't see myself buying a brand new car ever again since it seems the starting price of most of their vehicles is $40k and up.

The Pontiac G8 had 3 models: a base V6, the GT with a LS2, and the GXP with a highly tweaked LS3. The new Chevy SS is the equivalent to the GXP. They want to compete against the Dodge Charger SRT8 but they have nothing else to compete with in less expensive/optioned models. I think GM missed the boat on this one. The SS is a great car to be sure, but not one for the masses like the Charger is in the RWD/AWD market and the Pontiac G8 was.
    Of The Things I've Lost in Life, I Miss My Mind The Most! I'm Trying to Find Myself, Have You Seen Me Anywhere?

Insanity is Hereditary, You Get It From You Kids!!! I Use to Have a Life, Now I Have a Wife!!!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Ride of the Month Winner - February 2014STA-BIL Featured Ride - Featured February 2014

glad to see the major automakers bringing back the hot rod versions of the the rides that seemed to make them the big three, glad to see the cars with new modern technology updates, makes for a much better of a car that really sets with a true HOT ROD................theme for the consumers.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasChecking the GaugesAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Member of the Week

I agree I love the idea it will help keep the passion alive in the future for our youths when they'll then be the collectible cars of the future and ours will be in museums
    Last edited by 23t-bucket; 11-27-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Champion303 Featured Ride - October 2013

I agree that they will be the collectible cars of the future, the problem is that so few will be built because of the stratospheric prices they are asking for factory hot rods. Those prices will remain high for quite awhile too. When a RWD 4-door Chevy SS is almost the same price as a base level Corvette, more for the Camaro ZL-1, Z-28, or the SS convertible, then something is clearly wrong with the marketing gurus.

What made the Camaro and sedans popular is their affordability back in the day. Who thinks a starting price of $40 grand is "affordable" for a RWD v8 car? Heck Cadillac wants that much or more for a RWD/AWD V6 in the CTS. My point is that a well appointed (not super loaded) Charger or Challenger R/T with a Hemi V8 can come in under $40k. GM has nothing to offer in that price point right now. Which is why Dodge sells a ton of them too.

GM's mistake with the G8 and perhaps with the SS is not making them in Australia, is perhaps limiting how many will be produced. GM did not market the G8 well since they were in such dire financial straits when the G8 was coming out, that it was really not well marketed. What is the excuse now for the Chevy SS?

I just think that the price of new vehicles in general is getting too expensive these days. If a modest vehicle, with some uplevel trim, a V6 or V8 engine, and some level of options is close or over $40k, then this means that the average car payment for 5 years with 0% interest and nothing down is at or over $667 a month. At three years, it is almost double at over $1100 a month. Who can afford that much car these days and still pay for their mortgage, food, insurance, and other daily necessities?

I'd love to own a new factory hot rod for sure. I just can't see spending that much money for one at these prices. I honestly do not know if I can afford to buy a new car ever again with the prices of these things continuing to rise and there is no guarantee that my family's wages will go up every year to keep pace. If the last decade is any indication, we've been on the loosing side of that equation for quite some time.
    Of The Things I've Lost in Life, I Miss My Mind The Most! I'm Trying to Find Myself, Have You Seen Me Anywhere?

Insanity is Hereditary, You Get It From You Kids!!! I Use to Have a Life, Now I Have a Wife!!!

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information