Cool Rides Online®
    General Administrator Cool Rides Online's Avatar
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

Default Why NASCAR Has Embraced Facebook and Twitter

Why NASCAR Has Embraced Facebook and Twitter

Posted on November 22, 2012 by MarkAdams

NASCAR has always been a bit more progressive than other sports. For example, the organization has embraced an environmental strategy with NASCAR Green, which promotes recycling and strives to lower emissions. The same is true for social media, which NASCAR has embraced whole heartedly. It isn’t just the drivers who are taking to Facebook and Twitter by themselves (although they are certainly doing that as well). Social media has been aggressively promoted by the very heads of the organization, who see the benefits of having an open dialogue between the fans and the practitioners of the sport.

It has been no secret that NASCAR has been struggling a bit these past few years. This means that any way to retain old fans and bring new ones in has been an absolute must. This has led NASCAR’s brass to encourage their drivers to use social media. Steve O’Donnell, the vice president of racing operations said in a recent interview with Playbook “We’re very comfortable with our drivers out there talking to the fans. The more they can interact with fans, the better.” O’Donnell goes on to say that starting next year there would be a much more integrated, media heavy push for social media from NASCAR. They have already laid the groundwork, having created a partnership with Twitter earlier this year, a first between any sports organization and a social media company.

Of course it’s the drivers who have really led to NASCAR’s success on sites like Facebook and Twitter. Fans of the sport are downright hungry to connect to their favorite drivers. Take the extreme example of Dale Earnhardt Jr., who has an official Twitter account set up, hasn’t posted a single solitary Tweet, and has somehow managed to get 160,000 followers. So who is the most popular driver in social media? That would be Danica Patrick with 662,000 followers on Twitter.

Are you currently following anyone from NASCAR on Facebook or Twitter? Let us know in the comments below.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

I wouldn't get on facebook or twitter. Have no need to tell the world when I fart, burp or sneeze.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Justa6 View Post
    I wouldn't get on facebook or twitter. Have no need to tell the world when I fart, burp or sneeze.
    With you on that for Twitter, I'm not on it a lot but Facebook is a lot more than just updating statuses. I use it to network, organize events, share pics, etc

You Will Respect My Authoritah!!

Achievements Burning TiresAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Featured Ride - September 2012CRO Ride of the Month Winner - September 2012CRO Member of the Week

Cool

Twitter got real big with NASCAR this year when Brad K. twitted the crash at the 1st race of the year ( Daytona) from his car while he was sitting on the track...

I love NASCAR, and I think Brad K. will be a real good Champ...
    BCA # 45934 / Central New England Chapter / BCA
    Central New England Chapter / BCA - Membership Coordinator / Recording Secretary
    BPG # 2313 / Northeast GS/GN Club / Buick GS Club of America # 2943

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Member of the Week

I will agree, I am not on the Twitter band wagon but Facebook, especially for a group like the GDRA is actually another way to promote and provide informative information that one might miss from our site. It also allows us to reach out to more racers and showcase our amazing sponsors like CoolRidesOnline.net. Too much "social media" I believe is not the best and smartest move, but in today's society, we do rely on just the right amount. Forums such as CROL and Facebook provide that fur our association and I proud to say, they are one of the main reasons the GDRA is growing.
    Gamblers Drag Racing Association
    Director of Media / Public Relations
    www.GamblersDragRacing.com

Follow us on Facebook as well!!!

Achievements Kicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

Quote Originally Posted by Justa6 View Post
    I couldn't agree more. It will go the way of my space and whatever else was before that. COMPLETE waste of time and personal exposure on the web.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information