Cool Rides Online®
    General Administrator Cool Rides Online's Avatar
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

Thumbs up Remembering the Chevrolet Corvette C1- The First True American Sports Car

Remembering the Chevrolet Corvette C1- The First True American Sports Car

Posted on November 15, 2012 by MarkAdams

Born as an American response to the rise of European sports cars, the Chevrolet Corvette has become an automotive icon. It helped to not just define what it means to be an American sports car, but to help popularize them as well. For those who may not be familiar with the history of the Corvette, here is the story of the birth of one of the most popular sports cars of all time.

“Project Opel” and the Inception of a Classic
    In 1949 General Motors began hosting its own car show. Originally based in New York, the show eventually started travelling the country in 1953, which was the year it was given the name Motorama. The show allowed GM to show off its visionary new concept cars, and most popular amongst these was a design from the GM owned Chevrolet called “Project Opel.” This slick, missile like car made what was then a radical shift in American automobile design: it had only two seats. The incredible reception that this car received prompted Chevrolet to make it a reality. Later that year they introduced the Corvette to the world. Because steel was scarce at the time, the car had to be made with what was then a new material called fiberglass. The initial production resulted in only 300 Corvettes being made. The cars featured Chevy’s “Blue Flame” V6 engine and Powerglide automatic transmission.

“The Father of the Corvette”
    Initially the Corvette was a huge disappointment for Chevrolet. Sales were weak and the general public seemed to take little interest in this strange new car. In 1955 Chevrolet was actually considering eliminating the line all together when two things happened. One was the introduction of the Ford Thunderbird, which made it difficult for Chevrolet to pull out just when its biggest rival released a comparable car. The second was an engineer called ZoraArkus-Duntov, a man who would later be known as “The Father of Corvette.” Duntov sent a now famous letter to the general manager of Chevrolet, Ed Cole, entitled “Thoughts Pertaining to Youth, Hot Rodders and Chevrolet.” This letter helped to define what the Corvette should mean to the general public and prompted Cole to basically let Duntov implement whatever changes he saw fit in the Corvette’s design. The biggest change that Duntov made was adding a V8, 195hp engine, which was almost non-existent in those days. The addition of the engine helped set the Corvette apart from the competition and prompted the car to steadily grow in popularity. As a result, the line became a mainstay at Chevrolet and one of the most recognized cars in America.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the GasAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO Champion - November 2014ISO-HEET Featured Ride - May 2012CRO Member of the Week

I had a '61 way back when. I loved that car but at the time I hadn't been bit by the Vette bug yet.

Name:  61Vette4-1-1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  38.2 KB
    Drive fast and leave a sexy corpse

Rookie
    Achievements Kicking the Tires

I also had a 61 corvette back in the 1980's. I have regretted letting that car go! Sold it for 15K in 1989. If I would have only known back then what the value today would be! It was fawnskin color. I repainted it to black.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information