Cool Rides Online®
    General Administrator Cool Rides Online's Avatar
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

Question Opinion: The best official pace cars ever built for the Indy 500 were built by Chevy

Opinion: The best official pace cars ever built for the Indy 500 were built by Chevy

Posted on November 9, 2012 by PeteRizzo

For more than a century, the Indianapolis 500 has been the premier event in automotive racing, having hosted the best drivers and the fastest cars to ever compete in the sport. Every year, officials choose an official pace car that represents one of the greatest designs to hit the streets in the past 12 months.

Twenty-three of the past 96 Indy 500s have featured a Chevy as the car to pace the track before the big race. Of those 23, 11 have been Corvettes, making it an unrivaled nameplate in the world of Indy Racing.

Last years 2013 ZL1 Corvette was the fastest car to ever take the tarmac at Indy. This 60th Anniversary edition hardtop was a screamer with its 638 horsepower V8, making its bland appearance, with minimal decals and striping on the otherwise blank body, deceptively tame.

In 2011, the Camaro SS Convertible was the car chosen to pace Indy, striding menacingly around the track with its meaty tires powered by the same LS6 engine used in the C6 Corvette. With slick orange stripes and a pearly white base coat, this was probably the best looking pace car since the model that inspired the look in the first place.

The resemblance between the 2011 pacer and the 1969 Hugger Camaro is evident, as these two models share more than just a few key design cues. Despite the more than 40-year age difference between these two cars, they both look thoroughly modern on any roadway. The 69 pace car was by far not only the best looking car to ever round the track at Indy, but it was also the prettiest Camaro to ever hit the streets.

The next Indianapolis 500 is less than 200 days away, and whether or not Chevy will return yet again to pace the track beforehand has yet to be determined. Who do you think should build the next official pace car and do you think it will break the speed record held by the 2013 ZL1 Corvette?

Achievements Burning TiresAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Featured Ride - September 2012CRO Ride of the Month Winner - September 2012CRO Member of the Week

Cool

Their coming out with a new Dodge Viper...

That would be Cool to see as a pace car...
    BCA # 45934 / Central New England Chapter / BCA
    Central New England Chapter / BCA - Membership Coordinator / Recording Secretary
    BPG # 2313 / Northeast GS/GN Club / Buick GS Club of America # 2943

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasChecking the GaugesAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Member of the Week

heard a rumor that a new impala SS might be the car this year ???

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

I don't know what will pace it this year (my best guess is a Camaro or Corvette), but these two, by far, are my favorites....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y85pacefrs.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	11093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dgpg-horizontal.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	11100  
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresStepping on the GasChecking the GaugesAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Member of the Week

very nice they were my favorite also i had a 86 vette vert, pace car , but i liked the 69 camaro also ,, i think the new 2014 SS impala debuts next year at the track as the Indianapolis pace car,

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the GasAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO Champion - November 2014ISO-HEET Featured Ride - May 2012CRO Member of the Week

That TA is sweet. I think the Vette has it as being the best. That's IMO
    Drive fast and leave a sexy corpse

Achievements Burning TiresAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Featured Ride - September 2012CRO Ride of the Month Winner - September 2012CRO Member of the Week

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gtdhw View Post
    I don't know what will pace it this year (my best guess is a Camaro or Corvette), but these two, by far, are my favorites....

My guess would be the new Corvette that is coming out this year...
    BCA # 45934 / Central New England Chapter / BCA
    Central New England Chapter / BCA - Membership Coordinator / Recording Secretary
    BPG # 2313 / Northeast GS/GN Club / Buick GS Club of America # 2943

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information