Cool Rides Online®
    General Administrator Cool Rides Online's Avatar
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

Post Cub Cadet Recommends STA-BIL Fuel Additive And Stabilizer For Its Gas-Powered Outdoor

Cub Cadet Recommends STA-BIL Fuel Additive And Stabilizer For Its Gas-Powered Outdoor Equipment

Posted on November 6, 2012 by The Engine Answerman

Cub Cadet®, the leading manufacturer of premium quality outdoor power and lawn care equipment, names STA-BIL® Ethanol Treatment and STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer as its recommended fuel additive and stabilizer for consumers to use in its gas-powered equipment to guard engines against the damaging effects of ethanol-blended gasoline. Cub Cadet will provide customers a sample dose of STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment with each new purchase of select Cub Cadet gas-powered equipment.

“Cub Cadet is an outstanding brand and the gold standard in outdoor power and lawn care equipment,” said Marc Blackman, President and CEO of Gold Eagle Co. “Having Cub Cadet recognize our STA-BIL products as a critical preventative measure is an enormous recognition. We commend the Company’s commitment towards helping customers protect the value of their investment and the performance of their Cub Cadet purchase.”

“When our customers purchase a Cub Cadet they expect nothing less than premium quality and optimal performance from their equipment,” said John Nemeth, Post-Sales Support Product Manager for Cub Cadet. “Proper maintenance starts at the gas tank. We believe it is important to treat fuel properly to help guard against costly repairs and downtime that may be caused by ethanol-blended gasoline. STA-BIL branded products come recommended by more than 100 original equipment manufacturers. We believe that treating gasoline with STA-BIL will help ensure the performance and longevity of our customers’ Cub Cadet equipment for years to come.”

Cub Cadet will instruct product owners on the importance of using STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment with every fill up and STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer for seasonal storage on information tags on select gas-powered product displays and will include a recommendation in all gas-powered equipment product owners’ manuals. Cub Cadet will also provide training to retailers, including The Home Depot®, Tractor Supply® and Cub Cadet Independent Dealers on the importance of using the product correctly.

About Cub Cadet
    The leader in the outdoor power equipment industry, Cub Cadet engineers innovative, premium quality products. Through a dedicated and extensive network of dealers and retailers, Cub Cadet delivers a full line of high performance power equipment and services that cover all aspects of grounds care for professional and homeowners – including the world’s only four-wheel steer zero-turn riders; lap bar zero-turn riders; utility vehicles; lawn and garden tractors, lithium ion- and gasoline-powered handheld and chore products; snow throwers and more. A global company based in the U.S., Cub Cadet is recognized worldwide for its legacy in engineering excellence and its progressive dedication to exceeding owner expectations by delivering on its promise of better products, a better experience and better results. For more information on all Cub Cadet products, visit www.CubCadet.com.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

We all know/use Sta-bil for storing our rides, but I never heard of Sta-bil reducing the effects of ethenol. This seemed to be a major topic of discussion @ Car events this year. Plus I was figuring out probs with my tri-power carbs and everyone seemed to be B'n about it. If its true, this should be advertized. How much Sta-bil should be used in every gas tank? Does the combination of Sta-bil and 104oct/boost negate each other?
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog Contributor

Default STA-BIL for ethanol

Quote Originally Posted by Justa6 View Post
    We all know/use Sta-bil for storing our rides, but I never heard of Sta-bil reducing the effects of ethenol. This seemed to be a major topic of discussion @ Car events this year. Plus I was figuring out probs with my tri-power carbs and everyone seemed to be B'n about it. If its true, this should be advertized. How much Sta-bil should be used in every gas tank? Does the combination of Sta-bil and 104oct/boost negate each other?
    Most definitely need for ethanol gas but use one of the STA-BIL ethanol treatments. Check out this clip from when we were at Barrett-Jackson in AZ last year. (I have no idea how he talks o fast, but he gets down all of the main points)

You Will Respect My Authoritah!!

Blog Entries
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

He's basicly speaking of water N related corrosion. Ethanol eats plastic/rubber and is not mentioned in the ethanol treatment link to product. Does the ethanol product used instead of Stabil for storage? Or is that added to the Stabil N 104 octane boost already in the tank?

Blog Entries

Ethanol treatment is mostly for phase separation, oxidation and general cleaning. That's because ethanol fuel is an oxygenate made out of alcohol and it has an open bond that attracts water molecules. It actually actively pulls the water molecule out of the air and absorbs it. Since water is heavy, it'll eventually weigh the ethanol molecule down and separate/drop to the bottom of the tank. Ethanol+water is bad for the engine...very bad. Ethanol also has higher than 110 octane so when the ethanol separates from the fuel, it lowers the octane rating of the remaining fuel as well. And the added moisture can create a bad corrosion problem.

Ethanol does eat away at some older or cheap rubber materials over time. In the US auto industry, all rubber materials used after (don't quote me) '72, '76 or so have been resistent to ethanol. Some older or cheaper foreign rubbers (like some carburetor floats) may use that 'bad' rubber and unfortunately the only 100% solution for that is replacing the piece with a better quality rubber. Neoprene parts are pretty safe. You can usually start to tell pretty soon if the rubber is not holding up when exposed to ethanol because it'll start getting soft and mushy.

Hope that helped!

Blog Entries

I'm sure many on the site can learn something from your explination of fuel and whats bad about ethanol. 4 yrs in aviation, taught me much on quality control and fuel. Avgas will never have ethanol in it for the exact reasons you stated. Not only breakdown of fuel, but also as you stated bad for plastic/rubber in the fuel system, but also including valve seals the burning of valves and destruction of valve seats.
    My 1964 421 tri-power (multiple carbs) is not rocket science. Couldn't believe I was having so much trouble with the middle carb puking gas. Took ordering from 4 different parts suppliers to finally get the correct carb kits. And they do not include everything you need to rebuild the carbs. Forcing me to start over on CORRECT missing/needed, parts location. Everyone spoken to (including my 1st diagnosis) was a faulty float. 1st thing I checked was my brass floats. It was fine and I refused to replace it over plastic. Bringing up many discussions over the counters, with other tri power owners ect. All leading to the ethanol discussion over and over. My prob turned out to be my small venturi plate loosing up.
    MY question is.... I have a full tank and also added 104+. Its my understanding 104 is not JUSTA octane boost, but a system cleaner as well. On top of that I've added Sta-bil for the winter. Now we are talkin about Sta-bil ethanol treatment, which sounds like a water and corrosion fighter (like the original Sta-bil) plus more system cleaner. Should I have used the Ethanol treatment instead of the original Sta-bil for storage? Seems like adding more additives at this point is overkill. I'm concerned about the ethanol sitting/eating my new system parts for the next 6 months. And we all know cold weather is a much bigger concern for water probs then in the summer months. Which product does Gold Eagle recomend for storage? My Sunbird has a Holley 600 and many times on spring startup my O rings for the fuel bowl crossover pipes are bad N leaking and have replaced my accelerator pump many times as well after 6months of sitting. Always using Sta-bil the gas is fine but rubber parts??? I can get parts for the Holley all day long, but the 64 Rochester's are getting very hard to come by.

Blog Entries

Yea, it can get complicated. To keep it simple, use the Marine STA-BIL Formula (blue) for both a treatment and storage. Use 1oz to 5 gallons for storage and 1oz to 10 gallons throughout the year. It includes the great stabilizer, non-alcohol water remover, corrosion inhibitor and has ther strongest cleaner. It doesn't increase octane so if you want higher octane then you can add the 104+ for that only since the MFS already covers the cleaning.

You also don't need 104+ prior to storage, just use that when you want the higher octane. The black bottle gives about ~2 octane more than what you started with using the US ratings (RON+MON)/2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Yea, it can get complicated. To keep it simple, use the Marine STA-BIL Formula (blue) for both a treatment and storage. Use 1oz to 5 gallons for storage and 1oz to 10 gallons throughout the year. It includes the great stabilizer, non-alcohol water remover, corrosion inhibitor and has ther strongest cleaner. It doesn't increase octane so if you want higher octane then you can add the 104+ for that only since the MFS already covers the cleaning.

You also don't need 104+ prior to storage, just use that when you want the higher octane. The black bottle gives about ~2 octane more than what you started with using the US ratings (RON+MON)/2
    Thankz buddy....Didn't mean for it to get so long winded.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information