Cool Rides Online®
    General Administrator Cool Rides Online's Avatar
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

Thumbs up Three of the coolest station-wagons to ever come out of Detroit

Three of the coolest station-wagons to ever come out of Detroit

Posted on October 26, 2012 by PeteRizzo

Despite the fact that many cars on the road today feature all of the same characteristics of the traditional "station wagon," none of these cars will wear the label with pride. Instead, ambiguous titles like "crossover" or the now loosely defined "sport-utility vehicle" are what most car-based, long-roofed people-movers go by when their makers are looking for a label.
    Before the auto industry dubbed the term poisonous-to-sales, the '60s and '70s produced some killer station wagons that could not only flew, but allowed you to take your friends along with you.

One such example came from the late-great Oldsmobile, whose A-body Vista Cruiser was essentially a Cutlass with a stretched chassis and room for at least six, legally. From 1968 to 1972, you could buy one of these with the 400 or 455 c.i. V8 Olds dropped in the 442 coupe which, despite the added cargo, made this one of the fastest family cars on the market. In Fact, in 1972, when the Oldsmobile Hurst was the official pace car at Indy, Olds put the same 455 Rocket V8 under the hood of a few Vista Cruisers to provide support-car duties throughout the race.

The grandaddy of all station wagons, however, was not so light on its feet. In a time where wagons were mostly built on wood frames, Ford introduced its first steel-bodied people-mover in the Ranch Wagon. The two-door version originally featured the "Mileage Maker" six-cylinder engine in 1952, and offered the more powerful Flathead V8 as a performance option. This model set the stage for at least two decades of "cool" station wagons.

The ultimate wagon came about in with the Chevy Nomad. In 1955, the Nomad was based on the popular Bel Air, and this car had all of the bells and whistles of its coupe-counterpart, plus looks like no other car on the road. It first debuted at the GM Motorama in 1954 as one of legendary GM head-stylists Harley Earl's "dream cars."

Do you think these were the best station wagons to ever hit the market? Leave your comments below:

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Very good list, BUT I'm kinda partial to this one.....

If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Agree with Shawn.... But I like this Pontiac too
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

I still want one of these also........with an LS6 please.

If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Gtdhw View Post
    Not surprised! LOL -

You Will Respect My Authoritah!!

Achievements Burning TiresAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Featured Ride - September 2012CRO Ride of the Month Winner - September 2012CRO Member of the Week

Cool

I love the Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser...

We had one as the family vehicle back in the early 70's, I loved the huge roof window that was over the passenger seat, that was the coolest thing to be driving along and looking at the stars...

I'd love to find one of those again someday, the money tree out back has to grow more 1st so I can buy all these old rides that I want have...
    BCA # 45934 / Central New England Chapter / BCA
    Central New England Chapter / BCA - Membership Coordinator / Recording Secretary
    BPG # 2313 / Northeast GS/GN Club / Buick GS Club of America # 2943

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information