Cool Rides Online®
    General Administrator Cool Rides Online's Avatar
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

Post 1987: A good year to say goodbye to the El Camino

1987: A good year to say goodbye to the El Camino

Posted on September 12, 2012 by PaulDavenport

Before crossover vehicles ruled the road, Detroit made a different kind of sport utility vehicle that dominated at the drag strip and on the farm. These were the popular "pick-up cars" that drove like high-performance, lightweight coupes but had the truck beds of a full-size pickup.

The most popular name in the world of the "pick-up car" was the El Camino, which made its final bow in 1987. This was one of the last RWD cars to buck the FWD trend that helped to extinguish much of what was left of American muscle in the '80s. Sharing much of its design with the Monte Carlo, you could buy an El Camino with a 145 hp V6 or a 150 hp V8, but not the L69 available in the Monte Carlo SS. However, because of the car's lightweight design, these El Caminos would jump forward if you barely tapped the gas pedal.

This model was spared much of the shame that a lot of Detroit's products in the late '80s garnered, as its looks were clean inside and out. The interior was simple and classy and the exterior didn't even look ridiculous when it sported a two-tone paint job.

These models, along with the Monte Carlos and Buick Regals that shared the same platform, were some of the slickest new rides available to consumers during the '80s. They may not have been as prolific as their predecessors, but these cars saved a lot of face for GM during this trying period.

Though it was sad to see the El Camino go in 1987, it'd be even sadder if GM kept the nameplate around and we saw pickup versions of the last Monte Carlos Chevy pumped out. We almost got a taste of the car-truck hybrid resurgence with the ultimately doomed Chevy SSR, but since 1987, no car worthy of the El Camino badge has graced American roadways.

Do you think it's about time Chevy resurrected this storied nameplate, or do you think it met its timely end back in 1987? Weigh in on the conversation below:

Achievements Burning TiresAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Featured Ride - September 2012CRO Ride of the Month Winner - September 2012CRO Member of the Week

Cool

I think they should bring it back, it was/is a popular platform.

I'm sure a lot of places would use it and a lot of builders could have fun with it also.

I have been seeing a Mercino at the shows lately, it came out real nice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5417.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	6933

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5416.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	6934
    BCA # 45934 / Central New England Chapter / BCA
    Central New England Chapter / BCA - Membership Coordinator / Recording Secretary
    BPG # 2313 / Northeast GS/GN Club / Buick GS Club of America # 2943

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

I lost one of my childhood buds yesterday. Ironic that he was MR ELCAMINO with his Black Knight edition.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Achievements Burning TiresAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Featured Ride - September 2012CRO Ride of the Month Winner - September 2012CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Justa6 View Post
    I lost one of my childhood buds yesterday. Ironic that he was MR ELCAMINO with his Black Knight edition.
    Sorry to hear that.

My thoughts go out to you and his family.
    BCA # 45934 / Central New England Chapter / BCA
    Central New England Chapter / BCA - Membership Coordinator / Recording Secretary
    BPG # 2313 / Northeast GS/GN Club / Buick GS Club of America # 2943

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC77 View Post
    Sorry to hear that.

My thoughts go out to you and his family.
    Thankz, he will be missed.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Achievements Kicking the Tires
    Awards CRO Featured Ride - October 2012CRO Member of the Week

When I was a kid, in 1965 my dad took me to see an brand new El Camino a friend of his had just bought. I thought it was a great ride. I had a 65 for a brief period too. If GM could accomplish with the El Camino, what they have done with the new Camaro, it might succeed as a retroride. Of course the difficulty is capturing or recreating a market for such a vehicle. While the El Camino was a cool car, it never inspired the mass adoration of things like the Mustang, Firebird, Cuda, Camaro. No matter how cool, it just might not garner enough sales to be worth the effort. Of course those of us who loved them would want one again but many tens of thousands would have to be sold to make it a marketing success. In today's market it probably would not work unfortunately.
    Maker of fast Oldsmobiles!

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information