Cool Rides Online®
    General Administrator Cool Rides Online's Avatar
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

Question The plot thickens in the case of the missing Briggs Cunningham Corvette

The plot thickens in the case of the missing Briggs Cunningham Corvette

Posted on September 6, 2012 by PaulDavenport

An intriguing story is taking place in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, as a long lost Corvette has yet again disappeared after resurfacing in a St. Petersburg, Florida, storage unit earlier this summer.

Autoweek reported on August, 27 that the storied Briggs Cunningham #1 Corvette had reappeared after disappearing more than 40 years ago amidst a cloud of mystery.

The Corvette was one of three owned by manufacturer and legendary racer Briggs Cunningham, who drove the trio at Le Mans in 1960. The second and third Corvette of the trio had been accounted for since Cunninghams attempt more than five decades ago, however, the whereabouts of the first Corvette have been a mystery to collectors for years.

The lost 'Vette was driven by Cunningham himself as well as his co-pilot William Kimberly. However, the duo crashed the car before ever crossing the finish line.

On June 21, Rick Carr decided to Google the VIN number on an old Corvette his late father had left sitting in storage for years. The search led him to the official website for Briggs Cunningham, and matched the VIN of the missing Corvette listed on the site.

Carr contacted Larry Berman, the official Briggs Cunningham historian, and brought the rusted classic up to Pennsylvania to be shown at the annual Corvettes at Carlisle auto show.

However, after a brief public exhibition on the eve of the event, officials removed the car from the show amidst mysterious circumstances, claiming the Corvette was being hidden for security reasons.

Motor Authority reports that the car was removed from the show because of an ownership dispute between Carra and a fellow Floridian. Allegedly, car collector Dan Mathis Jr. told event officials that he has documentation that proves the car was stolen from his family back in the 1970s, and that he was heading to Carlisle to collect what Mathis claims is rightfully his.

How do you see this story panning out? Will the public ever see the first 1960 Cunningham Corvette again? Let us know your thoughts below:

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

WOW Whatta story, Same BAT time, Same BAT channel. I want to hear more on this!
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Achievements Burning TiresAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Featured Ride - September 2012CRO Ride of the Month Winner - September 2012CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Justa6 View Post
    WOW Whatta story, Same BAT time, Same BAT channel. I want to hear more on this!
    I 2nd this, I want to see more.

This is going to be a very interesting story as it unfolds............................

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog Contributor

I'm really enjoying Paul's stories - thumbs up!

Wonder what the car (if legit) is appraised at

You Will Respect My Authoritah!!

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information