Cool Rides Online®
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Default Summit Points Weekend Recap 8/25

What a great, yet disappointing weekend at the strip.

This was the final points weekend for Team Bunker Hill and going into the weekend, my mission was to defend my #6 position in Super Pro, and my #5 position in Sportsman. My spot in Sportsman was pretty well secured, with no way to gain, but the guy behind me could've passed me with a first round loss on my part and a race victory on his. In Super Pro, the points were tight enough that depending how the day went, I could've fallen to as far down as 10th.

It was a very hot Saturday, a lot hotter than what we were expecting (thanks weather forecasters), and I wasn't able to get the Vega to the strip as early as I would've liked (wife had to work). I showed up about an hour before the first round of time shots and was doing everything I could to get the Vega cooled down in time. Since it ended up being a mid 90's day, the car was at 190 degrees when I pulled in, and I wasn't quite able to get it down to race temp of 140 in time, but it was close, so up to the lanes we go and make an 8.13 pass. That's a tenth slower than last weeks times, but right where it should be due to the hotter air. Come time for the second time shot, the car is still a few degrees warmer than where I like it, and I make the call to sit this one out. My thinking was to allow it the extra time to cool and get the temp to where I know it will be manageable/predictable vs. getting stuck with heat sink that I won't have time in between later rounds to get rid of. The Vega does not like heat! If it stays below 160, it's at it's fastest and easy to get back down to 140. Once the temp gets above 160, the car picks up numbers (goes slower) and the temp just sets in. At 185 operating temp, the car can lose up to .2 tenths. That's not much in real time, but in racing, it's a ton and trying to dial that climb is not easy so I try to avoid it at all costs. Third round (DfD's) comes and the car is cool and ready to go. I thought the air felt a little better and with the car at it lowest temp of the day, I'm thinking it will pick up a little bit and put a 8.11 on the window. I was wrong. It goes the other way and puts up an 8.15.

First round, I settle on an 8.13 dial and get paired with a much slower 12.23 opponent. After waiting over 4 seconds at the tree, I'm green and off for the chase! My RT was .023 to his .039, and the Vega was on a dead on 8.13 pass. But, at the finish line, he dumped and left me a lot of room, so I lifted as well, scrubbed 2 mph, and ran a safe 8.159 to his 12.295 for the .051 win.

Second round, I stick with the 8.13 dial and get paired with a 7.60 opponent. It also happens to be a guy that I've never beat and have constantly gone red against. Not this time! I cut a .016 light to his .033 and with the Vega running another dead on 8.139, he had no room and broke out by .009 trying to run me down. Even though he broke out, netting me the round win, I had a killer .025 package! It's alway nice when your package is lower than your opponents RT, that makes them mathematically ineligible to win as soon as they leave the starting line. This is also the time ticket that has the Margin of Victory at .0000 (irrelevant, but cool to see)

Third round, I stick with the 8.13 dial and get paired with a 7.52 opponent. I'm .031 on the tree to his .052 and the CoolRidesOnline Vega is on another dead on 8.13 run. He runs off with a 7.58 and combined with the difference in RT's, I was ahead before the stripe and scrubbed a little to light up the boards with an 8.14 for the round win. Headed to the Semi's!

Meanwhile, in the Camaro, during time trials it lays down a 6.66, a 6.69, and then another 6.66. First round comes and there is no way that I'm going to dial a 6.66, just isn't going to happen. I chose to dial down one to 6.65, put the pedal through the floor, and hope for the best. I get paired with a faster 6.10 car. I leave first, smash the gas pedal, and go .020 on the tree. I get about 300 out feet and see my win light come on as the other guy goes red. YES! I keep it to the floor and run a 6.674, but get the win.

Second round, the air is a little bit cooler (which the Camaro really likes) and I choose to stick with the 6.65 dial. I get paired with a faster 5.90 opponent. I leave first, smash the gas pedal, and go .017 on the tree. I get about 40 feet out and my win light does not come on, no red light this time! I keep it floored and run a dead on 6.650. His .054 RT was too much for him to overcome and he breaks out with a 5.88 trying to run me down. (.017 package)

Third round, the air's about the same, but since it was so close second round, I dialed down to a 6.64. I get paired with our very own (and defending S/P Champion) Moparmxz. He dialed in at 6.44 and his car had been deadly all day. I knew I was going to have to bring my A game if I wanted this round win. I leave first and cut a .010 light. On the big end I'm out front and lift at mph cone, I then realize that I'm still out too far in front and almost at the stripe, I go to hit the brakes......too late.....I'm already there. I run a 6.6399 on my 6.64 dial for the breakout loss. I really misjudged it.

Well, after scoring two round wins and 15 points in S/P, I'm left with nothing but a Vega victory to concentrate on. The four of us remaining Sportsman were talking amongst ourselves and waiting to be called up for out ladder parings when a S/P car oiled down the tower lane with tranny fluid. Meh, no big deal, there will now be a long wait, but it's only 9:45 and the the weather's nice, just a waiting game now. WRONG!! They call the race 5 minutes later and us racers are stunned! Still not sure why the decided to call it, with an hour and some work, the track could have been as good as new. But nope, the payout was split & Team points standings where they stood at that point in the night, was where they ended for the season. I was able to defend my position, in both classes, but I sure was feeling good about my chances of putting the CoolRidesOnline Vega in the Winners Circle. But, what's a guy to do? Then, as I'm reflecting back on the day on my peaceful drive home in the Vega, I pop a hole in my rear tire! I was able to limp home, but that tire & that tube have met their demise!

All in all it was a very good day with a 5-1 round record, 36 points scored, Team positions defended, and $$ in the pocket. They're calling for rain this weekend (remainder of ISAAC), so I'm hoping both cars stay running great, and that I can maintain this grip I have on the tree because we have The National Dragster challenge (Wally race) coming up the next weekend, and I WANT A WALLY!!
    Last edited by Gtdhw; 08-28-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog Contributor

Great write-up! Sounds like yoyu had yourself a great day at the track! So does that mean you're in the team with both acars again this year for Indy?

How far did Moparmx make it?

Best of luck next week for the Wally!! I'm going to look at my calendar, might be a good weekend to take a trip down there and see some races

You Will Respect My Authoritah!!

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Great write-up! Sounds like yoyu had yourself a great day at the track! So does that mean you're in the team with both acars again this year for Indy?

How far did Moparmx make it?

Best of luck next week for the Wally!! I'm going to look at my calendar, might be a good weekend to take a trip down there and see some races
    Yes, both cars are going to Indy. I finished 5th out 7 in the Vega, and 6th out of 13 in the Camaro (four of the top 6 are dragsters so I'm the #2 door car )

Moparmxz could have been one the casualties of the oil down. He was 6 points (two rounds) behind me in (8th) going into the day. We both won 1st & 2nd rounds (so did the guy in 7th with going into the day) so I had no choice but to do my best do get paired with one them in the 3rd. Well, it worked, but Moparmxz did what he had to do give himself a chance, as I had him dead to rights, but took too much stripe for the loss (the other guy , 7th place, that was 5 points/1 round behind me also won 3rd putting him & I in tie) . That put Mopermxz only 1 point/round from taking my/our 6th place spot, but, the next round never happened so he finished 1 point behind us (in 8th) and since 7th place and I tied for 6th, they had to use the weighted points total do determine the tie breaker). Would he/they have won that round? Who know's, but I wouldn't bet against it. I feel they got "rooked" of the chance though. But it is what it is.

Heck yes, come on down!!
    Last edited by Gtdhw; 08-28-2012 at 09:06 PM.
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information