Cool Rides Online®

Thread: Window Tint?

Blog Entries
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the GasAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO Champion - November 2014ISO-HEET Featured Ride - May 2012CRO Member of the Week

Default Window Tint?

Might anyone know the legal window tint specs for Florida? I am considering a DIY tint and ask if anyone here might be familiar with a good tint to use. I tried it many moons ago and the results were good except for all the bubbles and creases and the tint eventually turning purple ... LOL. I'm hoping there's a manufacturer out there who now makes window tint where someone who hasn't determined how to use his gift of opposing thumbs can apply successfully.

I saw this on a recent episode of "Two Guy Garage" on Speed channel. Let me know what you think or if you know of others. OR- if just getting it done professionally is the way to go. What is the usual cost for two side windows and a rear window (on an '03 Vette coupe).

Thanks a lot.
    Drive fast and leave a sexy corpse

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

My son lives in Orlando N had his truck pro/done. He still got the TICKET and was forced to remove. Not worth the $$ N hassle.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the GasAt the Starting Line
    Awards CRO Champion - November 2014ISO-HEET Featured Ride - May 2012CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Justa6 View Post
    My son lives in Orlando N had his truck pro/done. He still got the TICKET and was forced to remove. Not worth the $$ N hassle.
    Thanks Justa6- I know the LEOs in NY were forever enforcing illegal tint laws and I guess the locals here would do the same. I agree it's not worth the hassle. That's why I was hoping to get the "legal" specs so I won't have to put up with that $hit. The FL sun can wreak havoc on a dash and interior.

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

You guys are strict down there.

316.2953 Side windows; restrictions on sunscreening material.--A person shall not operate any motor vehicle on any public highway, road, or street on which vehicle the side wings and side windows on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat are composed of, covered by, or treated with any sunscreening material or other product or covering which has the effect of making the window nontransparent or which would alter the window's color, increase its reflectivity, or reduce its light transmittance, except as expressly permitted by this section. A sunscreening material is authorized for such windows if, when applied to and tested on the glass of such windows on the specific motor vehicle, the material has a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 25 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 28 percent in the visible light range. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

http://archive.flsenate.gov/statutes...2953#0316.2953

316.2954 Windows behind the driver; restrictions on sunscreening material.--

(1) A person shall not operate any motor vehicle on any public highway, road, or street on which vehicle any windows behind the driver are composed of, covered by, or treated with any sunscreening material, or other product or material which has the effect of making the window nontransparent or which would alter the window's color, increase its reflectivity, or reduce its light transmittance, except as specified below:

(a) Sunscreening material consisting of film which, when applied to and tested on the rear window glass of the specific motor vehicle, has a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 35 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 15 percent in the visible light range; however, sunscreening material which, when applied to and tested on the rear window glass of the specific motor vehicle, has a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 35 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 6 percent in the visible light range may be used on multipurpose passenger vehicles.

(b) Perforated sunscreening material which, when tested in conjunction with existing glazing or film material, has a total reflectance of visible light of not more than 35 percent and a light transmittance of no less than 30 percent. For those products or materials having different levels of reflectance, the highest reflectance from the product or material will be measured by dividing the area into 16 equal sections and averaging the overall reflectance. The measured reflectance of any of those sections may not exceed 50 percent.

(c) Louvered materials, if the installation of the materials does not reduce driver visibility by more than 50 percent.

(d) Privacy drapes, curtains and blinds, provided such covering is in an open and secure position when the motor vehicle is being operated on any public highway, road, or street.

(2) A person shall not operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road, or street, on which vehicle the rear window is composed of, covered by, or treated with any material which has the effect of making the window nontransparent, unless the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both sides that meet the requirements of s. 316.294.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

http://archive.flsenate.gov/statutes...2954#0316.2954

Looks like you guys are limited to 30% up front, and 20% in the rear. Still worth it IMO, and will change the look of the car (the lighter the car, the darker the tint will look), and will add the needed sun protection. Around here, a two door with a rear window will run around $129. I used to do all my own tint, but the last few cars I've had done by pro's. On a rear hatch, they can use one piece, which is way better than splicing the stuff from the auto store together, also comes with a warranty. When it comes to fading, never use any window cleaner with Ammonia, that stuff is what causes it fade. Up here, I have 20% up front, and 5% in the rear on all of mine, (except the Vega which has 2.5% on the rears)
    Last edited by Gtdhw; 08-08-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Blog Entries

@ gtdhw- Dang, that's a mouthful! Thanks, especially for the last few sentences.

Blog Entries

Just revisiting some past threads on CRO and found this one of mine.

I have since gotten the windows LEGALLY tinted, and I must say, my expectations regarding the interior temp being cooler have been met. I never really thought it would be a noticeable difference, but it is. I am glad I chose to tint and glad I did it with a legal tint. Thanks for the comments about the possible ramifications had they not been tinted within the legal limits.

I am also glad I did it simply because I really do like the look.

Also worth noting=> The tint guy I used has been doing it for a lot of years. He strongly recommends regular good old windshield washer fluid for cleaning tinted (or not) windows.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information