Cool Rides Online®
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Default Starting issue...

86' Turbo Z

I've had this car for about a month now and have had to "stab" the clutch pedal to the floor (never touching the column) to get to start the whole time I've owned it. The clutch pedal works/feels fine and the adjustment while driving is spot on. Well, like I expected "stabbing" doesn't work anymore. The car was a "brick" for the last few days until I could take a closer look. I've been ALL under the dash and there are no wires or switches anywhere close to the clutch pedal, which goes along with what I've read that they don't have a neutral safety switch. After being stumped, I started trying things, here's where it gets weird...

While I was upside down in the drivers floor compartment (with the seat all the way back and the column all the way up (tilt column), I reached up to turn the key without anything pressed and the car started. It's the first time since I bought the car that the clutch didn't have to be pushed to the floor to start. I turned it off and started it again a few times and it fired every time. So, I climbed out of the floor board, put the seat back to where I could reach the pedals, pulled the column down, and......nothing. WTF! Well, I tried recreating the situation again since I was upright. The seat made 0 difference (as expected), but the column was the ticket (still not expected). Now, if I want to start the car, I have to have the column in the extreme "up" position and without the clutch pedal, it will start. I must have done this a dozen times with the same result. A couple times it didn't work, but pulling the column down, then going back up with it netted a start. Broken wire in the column is the best I can come up with, but there is no, and I mean NO wires that could've been interfered with by the clutch pedal.

What is going on?
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Achievements Stepping on the GasAt the Starting LineBuckling UpKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Featured Ride - December 2011CRO Featured Ride - June 2012CRO Ride of the Month Winner - June 2012

Well, I'd say the clutch pedal linkege was contancting/pinching something creating a short, but you addressed that and ruled it out. Sounds like the column needs to come apart to look for a loose/damaged wire in there. Not sure how the car is set up, but is there a large wiring harness connector at the column?

If so I'd 'jiggle' that and move it in all kinds of odd positions to see if you can get it to start without messing with the tilt or clutch.

A head scratcher for sure but before I tore anything apart I'd definately mess round with all connections at the column.

Last edited by B_hix; 07-07-2012 at 02:26 AM.
    I may not do it all right, but I'll do it myself the best I can - THATS HOT RODDING!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by B_hix View Post
    Well, I'd say the clutch pedal linkege was contancting/pinching something creating a short, but you addressed that and ruled it out. Sounds like the column needs to come apart to look for a loose/damaged wire in there. Not sure how the car is set up, but does is there a large wiring harness connector at the column?

If so I'd 'jiggle' that and move it in all kinds of odd positions to see if you can get it to start without messing with the tilt or clutch.

A head scratcher for sure but before I tire anything apart I'd definately mess round with all connections at the column.

Agreed.... It's in the column, try to narrow it down

Agree......
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Achievements Stepping on the GasAt the Starting LineBuckling UpKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Featured Ride - December 2011CRO Featured Ride - June 2012CRO Ride of the Month Winner - June 2012

I re-read my post and uh, think it is pretty obvious I was on a prescribed pain killer, lol ^^.

But yea, I'm coherehent now, and I still think I'd move as many wires (in the vicinity of the column) by hand as possible and see if I could isolate it. Really strange how the clutch pedal had to be engaged at one point and now that doesn't seem to matter.

This is a prime example of why I hate wiring issues - everything is in a bad spot and sometimes what makes sense ends up having nothing to do with the problem or solution
    I may not do it all right, but I'll do it myself the best I can - THATS HOT RODDING!

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

After fingering every wire and connection I could feel/see with no feedback, I dropped the column. I found the ign. rod on top that ran back to the iginition box. If I pulled forward on the ignition rod while cranking, the car started every time. I started to tweak the rod where it bends to make it "shorter", then I saw that the bright lights rod had adjustment slots and mounted right on top of the ignition box mount. I pulled the bright rod mount off finding that the ignition box mount also had forward/rear adjustment. Loosened the bolt & nut, slid the ign. box back about an 1/8", tightened every thing back up, and problem solved. Still have no idea why pushing the clutch in made it work for this long, but oh well, it's fixed and I have other things to be worrying about.

Also learned that these cars did NOT come with a neutral start safety switch (interlock switch) on manual models until the '90's. It cranks over at any time.
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Nice - you nailed it pretty quick then. 'least it wasn't one of those thing you gotta chase forever

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

I had to pull the column apart on the GTO to find a broken wire for my turnsig's. Nothing left untouched on the rebuild of this car.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information