Cool Rides Online®
    General Administrator Cool Rides Online's Avatar
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

Default The Mans Car: Revisiting the 1966-67 Mercury Cyclone GT

“The Man’s Car”: Revisiting the 1966-67 Mercury Cyclone GT

Posted on June 21, 2012 by PeteRizzo

With the recent announcement that the Mercury line would be going away for good, many car publications have been waxing nostalgic about the automaker’s classic models. After all, among old car aficionados and drag racing fans, Mercurys were always held in high regard, even if there wasn’t much difference between these cars and comparable Fords.

In particular, the late ’60s models marked the peak of Mercury’s drag racing dominance. In its obituary for the company, Hot Rod Magazine noted that Mercury’s 1966 factory drag team “invented the modern Funny Car with its innovative flip-top Comets.”

But, while this time period saw the company up its credentials on the track, it also marked a new high for the company’s design teams. The 1966-67 Mercury Cyclone, while not a muscle car by any stretch, had a sleek look, 390ci V-8 engine and dual exhausts, making it “the Man’s car,” at least according to advertisements. (The tone of the ad changed in ’68 from “the Man’s car” to a campaign aimed at female drivers).

The car packed enough power to back up this claim, though. Going zero to 60 miles per hour in 6.6 seconds and hitting top speeds of 123 mph, the 1966 model was good enough to serve as the pace car for the Indy 500 and win the “performance car of the year” award from the late, great Super Stock magazine.

Today, it’s not uncommon for ’66-67 Cyclones to sell for more than $20,000 fully restored, but as the number of available parts and Mercury models continues to fall in the wake of the company’s phasing out, this model could grow to be a lucrative investment for car collectors who consider themselves man’s men.

The tone of the Mercyry Cyclone’s advertisements changed in ’68 from “the Man’s car” to a campaign aimed at female drivers

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Still see alot of Torino's (Ford version) but the Cyclones are rare. Put this up against the 67 Cougar and the sequential tail lights and hide away headlights I love sooo much and somebodys gonna loose a nameplate. Lmao..I wired in sequentials to my GTO tailights for MY perfect car.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Achievements Stepping on the GasAt the Starting LineBuckling UpKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Featured Ride - December 2011CRO Featured Ride - June 2012CRO Ride of the Month Winner - June 2012

I love the Cyclones! I just have a 'regular ol 67' though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	5289

Name:	IMG_0441.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	5288
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by B_hix; 06-22-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    I may not do it all right, but I'll do it myself the best I can - THATS HOT RODDING!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by B_hix View Post
    I love the Cyclones! I just have a 'regular ol 67' though.

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	5289

Name:	IMG_0441.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	5288
    And one of the finest examples of OL skool Hot Rod I've seen.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Stepping on the GasBuckling UpAt the Starting LineChecking the GaugesKicking the Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Member of the WeekSTA-BIL Featured Ride - October 2013

Default Cyclone

The Cyclone was a great car...loved the fast back...tried to buy a Cyclone at Barrett Jackson...but it got out of my range...great car!

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information