Cool Rides Online®
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Default What a day at the strip!

Last Saturday started like most, getting things together and making sure both cars were ready for the day. We had the Wheel-Stand contest going on as well, so there were lots of cars on the grounds and the stands were full. First order of the day was Super Pro time trial #1, which I was one of the first cars to go down the track. I lined up in the left lane (with a Dragter in the right) and all was going well, the Camaro felt a little slow, but it was very hot and was expected. As I crossed the finished line (at 103mph), I looked up to the dial board to see my ET, that's when things took a turn.

My 6.66 pass...

As I looked up, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something black pass in front of my hood-scoop. About the time I started to question "What was that?", I heard a hard grinding sound and my steering was all but locked up. I still had no idea what was really going on, but it sunk in fast that I was crossing the track and that the opposing wall was closing in fast. I tried to brake, then I tried to give it gas, but the car was not happy with either of those options. I then let off both the brake and gas, and the car settled down a bit (started to maintain a straight line), and all I could do was try to turn left as hard as I could. From inside the car, it looked like I was able to miss riding the wall by about a foot. Once the car was under control, and going slow enough, I made a right turn for the closest turnoff, had a "WOW" moment, then got out to see what had just happened. As I turn the front pass. side corner, I see a flat tire, turned to the right, sitting in what was left of a tall, black, Dragster motor scoop. The entire pass. side of the car was coated in white fiberglass dust and looked like it had been in a flour storm. The scoop was wedged under the tire and all around the A-arm, luckily it was under the brake line by an 1". The front lower valance was also busted as the scoop passed through/under it. Once off the track, I had to jack the car up to get the scoop unwedged & out of the way. I was hoping the tire was just down, with no cuts/punctures, but no such luck. After skidding a large hole in the scoop, the tire took over and burned a nice 3" hole in itself. After about 15 minutes, a fellow racer came through with a spare wheel/tire that I was able to mount to get me back to my pit.
    Back in the pits and trying to figure out where to go from here, another racer (and CRO member) offered to let me use a spare tire he had hanging on the wall of his shop, if I could find a ride to his house to get it. Well, the racer next to me (who I'd never met before) offered me his very nice Chevy truck to make the trip & 10 minutes later, I had a good tire. We broke down the flat and mounted the spare, but simply couldn't get the spare to set the bead. This had all taken about 2 hours, and I had already missed the first practice in the Vega. Not wanting to miss the day in both cars, I had to give up on the Camaro and write it off for the days events. I head up and make a pass in the Vega. when I get back to the trailer, there stands the spare, mounted, aired up, and ready to go (BH racers are good people!)! With new wheel mounted, all that was left was some 103mph tape to be ready for 1st round of eliminations.

First round comes and I take the win! I was also able to take both first & second rounds in the Vega.....then the rain came and shut us down for the weekend. I talked to the track announcer later and he said he watched it all unfold from the tower. Appearantly, the scoop on the Dragster started peeling back at around the 330' mark and let go at end of his run, which was just as I was at the height of mine. It was learning experience for sure, and given the circumstances, I'm very gald it turned out the way it did (with no one hurt). Any little variance could have resulted in a much different ending. But it's racing and you never know what might happen at any given time.

Is it Saturday yet?
    Last edited by Gtdhw; 06-20-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Wow.... Justa when ya think you've seen it all. Glad you were able to save it from further damage or yourself buddy.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog Contributor

MAN!!!! Sounds like quite an adventure!!! Glad to hear that no one got hurt. You know, you really have to admire the sportsmanship of amateur racers. You guys are in it for the love of the sport, whether it's bracket racing, circle track, go-kart or lawnmower racing.

I never get tired of reading about those competing against one another really going above & beyond to help out a fellow racer. That's awesome!

You Will Respect My Authoritah!!

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    MAN!!!! Sounds like quite an adventure!!! Glad to hear that no one got hurt. You know, you really have to admire the sportsmanship of amateur racers. You guys are in it for the love of the sport, whether it's bracket racing, circle track, go-kart or lawnmower racing.

I never get tired of reading about those competing against one another really going above & beyond to help out a fellow racer. That's awesome!

I knew from experience that the BH racers were top notch guys/gals, but I was humbled by the extent this time. Parts, tools, labor (in 90+ degree heat), all given/lended without hesitation. To top it off, three of the biggest helpers are also the three I fight with the hardest on the track in the Sportsman class (1,2,& 3 in points). As with most racers at the Hill, we're sworn enemies when we meet at the tree, but back in the pits, especially when there's a racer in need, you'd think the whole track was one big "best friend". I think I'm most pleased that my little man gets to see it all first hand, every weekend.

ETA: The guy who lost the scoop was absolutely torn up that he caused damage to someone else's car. So much so, that after being around the entire time and lending a hand any way he could, he boxed his ride up and didn't want to race. I tried to explain that it's racing, anything can happen, and that it could've just as easily been me, or any other racer in his shoes when it comes to parts malfunctioning (even when they're correctly installed as in this case). I set out to find him after all was back to good to help lift his spirits, but he had already hit the road. I really wish he would've stuck around and played with us...
    Last edited by Gtdhw; 06-20-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information