Cool Rides Online®
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Default Oh the "Woes" of being a car guy...

So, I've realized that I now have two trucks. A big one for work and little one for play. The Sonoma GT (little one) needs paint and body work in a bad way since it took a back seat (cosmetically, priority wise) to the race cars. There is no way that I'm going to be able to get to it this winter either. I never really gave much thought to getting rid of it though since it's so rare (806 produced) and has been such a great truck for the past 11 years that I've owned it. Well, late last night I found myself cruising Ebay and Craigslist like I usually do. I end up looking at little sports cars and realizing how much I miss driving a stick (I have 7 cars but haven't owned a manual in 12 years ). I come across this add..

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2706137661.html

-I pause as I feel the gears upstairs slowly begin to turn-

I call the guy today and he's interested in a heads up swap (based on to-be sent-pics). We swap a dozen or so pics. He likes what he sees and I like what I see. We are supposed to meet in a couple hours at a halfway point, about 45 miles down the road. If all goes well, we swap titles and drive home in new-to-us vehicles. If it is as he describes, I think it is a fair trade all around. They are both unique vehicles. They both have the same high mileage, and they both need a little TLC. The truck need paint, body, & tires (damn racers!). The Fiero needs headliner, driver seat recovered, stereo, and valve cover gaskets. They both are fully loaded with everything in working order and are supposed to be very reliable drivers. He gets a truck, and I get a 5 speed (and a mid engine car, which I've never had before). I figure with the miles and condition, the Sonoma GT is worth $2500-$3000 ($5k with new paint & bodywork). I figure the Fiero to be at $2300-$2500 ($2800 cherried out). The Sonoma is 1 of 806, the Fiero is 1 of 6849.

What say the hive GT for GT, good trade?

I'm at the point now where I'm wondering if/how bad I'm going to be let down when I see it in person. Or if it will be better than expected? He loved the pics, even with the worst spots the truck shown, but will he back out after he sees it in person? Will the Fiero make it home if all goes well? What kind of stereo will I put in it? Aftermarket wheels? Tinted windows? My mind is now racing. Just to think, 12 hours ago all was calm. The "woes" of being a car guy...
    Last edited by Gtdhw; 11-19-2011 at 09:17 PM.
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Good or bad, it's a done deal.

Needs front end alignment and just what the guy said. It made the 40 mile trip with 0 issues with me actually getting to do this the whole time. Maaaaaannnnn, I missed shifting

It's no rose in appearance, the GM clear coat is no longer present on the top half of the car. But give me a few months (maybe a year) and it will be just as clean as the other rides in my stable.

Maybe tomorrow I will realize what just happened.

You will be missed #155. You served me well for over a decade doing anything I ever asked. I wish you nothing but the best for whatever the future holds for you. God speed old friend.

Hall of Fame Member john mastalerz's Avatar
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning TiresKicking the Tires
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2011CRO Ride of the Month Winner - January 2011CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Gtdhw View Post
    You will be missed #155. You served me well for over a decade doing anything I ever asked. I wish you nothing but the best for whatever the future holds for you. God speed old friend.

Looks good there. How old is that pic?

Roughly 4 years.

Hall of Fame Member john mastalerz's Avatar
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning TiresKicking the Tires
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2011CRO Ride of the Month Winner - January 2011CRO Member of the Week

Looks good.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information