Cool Rides Online®
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Default My favorite Chevelle EVER

"Ray Allen's 1970 LS6 Chevelle SS drag car, in which Allen never lost a race in 1970 and had only 61 miles clocked, just took $1.15 million before bidders fees."

That was a few years back. It was sold again at auction last year for around $250K. The new owner removed all the decals & lettering, then drove the car home from Las Vegas to California. I know it was his to do as he pleased with, but as a car guy, I think he is a complete and utter tool. 61 original miles on a 40 year old and undefeated LS6 track car?? It belonged in a museum. It's a piece of history. Buy another one to drive.
    Last edited by Gtdhw; 09-22-2011 at 07:28 PM.
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Exalted Member
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Member of the Week

That man should be drawn and quartered...drug down 61 miles of drag strips and then something mean done to him!

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog Contributor

Wait - so it dropped in value from 1.15 mill to 250k or am I reading that wrong?

You Will Respect My Authoritah!!

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

You read right. The Barrett Jackson Hype was at it's peak when it sold the first time. Not a BJ auction that it sold at the last time.

ETA: $264,000 to be exact.
    Last edited by Gtdhw; 09-22-2011 at 09:08 PM.

AMONG the show cars and racing machines that changed hands at the Icons of Speed & Style sale in Los Angeles, the most convoluted trip to the auction block may have been the one taken by a 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS454 convertible that began its career in New Jersey.

After a four-decade odyssey that included dragstrips, restoration shops, auction houses and a private collection, the 450-horsepower ragtop may find fulfillment cruising in Southern California.

From the early 1960s until well into the ’70s, quarter-mile dragstrips were a main battlefront in the horsepower war waged by Detroit automakers. The skirmishes of the muscle car era were most intensely fought in the Super Stock classes, where the factories could enter limited-production cars that looked like assembly-line models but were built with lightweight components and stuffed with the most powerful engines on the order form. For years, Dodge and Plymouth dominated with their 426-cubic-inch wedge and Hemi engines.

But in 1970 an innovative team of East Coast racers put Chevrolet on top. Ralph Truppi and Tommy Kling, with backing from Briggs Chevrolet of South Amboy, N.J., took delivery of a Chevelle convertible with the potent 454-cubic-inch LS6 option and an automatic transmission. They chose a convertible, heavier than a hardtop, to put the car in a more desirable class of competition.

With a meticulousness born of their days of racing in the Junior Stock ranks, the Truppi-Kling team blueprinted the engine and rebuilt the Chevelle’s chassis with an exactitude that made it far quicker than a car fresh from the assembly line.

Their work paid off. With Ray Allen at the wheel and Jerry Stinner keeping the mechanical end in order, the Chevelle dominated its class, recording 11-second quarter-mile times and racking up a streak of wins in National Hot Rod Association events in 1970. The car continued to race under the Truppi-Kling banner before fading out of sight.

Years later, Ray Allen followed the car’s trail to Georgia. He bought it and began a careful restoration to its pre-racing configuration. More than a decade later, but before the restoration was complete, Mr. Allen sold the car to Chip Gerst, a Southern California expert in muscle cars.

In 2006, the Chevelle went on the block at a Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale, Ariz., and after frenzied bidding it sold for $1.2 million. At RM’s Los Angeles auction the Super Stock flyer fell back to earth with a thud, selling for $264,000.

While the seven-figure sum the car previously brought bordered on the ridiculous, the $264,000 price is more in line with its value as a rare muscle car. The racing history, of course, raises its value, so the new buyer almost certainly got a bargain.

Ian Kelleher, president of RM, said the smiling buyer put the top down and drove it to his California home — a happy ending for any other automobile, but an odd one for a car that humbled so many competitors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/au...1CHEVELLE.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hot Rod Magazine, February 2010 Edition:

Quote from page 61; "The item most folks expected to draw top dollar brought just 20 percent of the $1.2 million Ralph paid in 2006. Tonny Sorensen of the Von Dutch clothing line is the latest owner of Ray Allen's A/Stocker. He forked over $240,000 (plus 10 percent)-then put the top down and drove the rare 454 Chevelle to its new home in SoCal. He told us he plans to remove the graphics and drive the 61-original-mile (no joke) car regularly".

So, this Tonny guy ruins the good name of a true hot rodding legend and then ruins a piece of NHRA history with the profits. Nice.
    Last edited by Gtdhw; 09-22-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Few (except LENO) can buy em JUSTA look @ em. Esp @ those $$$. Kinda cool to see it being enjoyed. Instead of parked in the back of some garage.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Hall of Fame Member john mastalerz's Avatar
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning TiresKicking the Tires
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2011CRO Ride of the Month Winner - January 2011CRO Member of the Week

That's the trouble with some billionaires, they buy muscle cars because that's the current trend, not knowing a thing about what they just bought. This guy has to be at the top as far idiots go. To desecrate a piece of history like that !!!!! I agree with Rooster.

Blog Entries
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by john mastalerz View Post
    That's the trouble with some billionaires, they buy muscle cars because that's the current trend, not knowing a thing about what they just bought. This guy has to be at the top as far idiots go. To desecrate a piece of history like that !!!!! I agree with Rooster.
    Totally agree with stripping the car of the historic BADGES proving what it is. He could of saved himself tons of $$$ N justa bought a nice Chevelle. What puzzles me is why it was in RESTO for so long N sold unfinished. With the original mileage, shouldn't have been in that bad of shape. All this guy did was further knock down the value.

Hall of Fame Member john mastalerz's Avatar
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning TiresKicking the Tires
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2011CRO Ride of the Month Winner - January 2011CRO Member of the Week

I guess he can brag about it now. I'll bring the noose, N you justa find a good tree!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john mastalerz View Post
    I guess he can brag about it now. I'll bring the noose, N you justa find a good tree!!
    There will be no hangin today...Everybody go home! Only way to hurt millionairs is to take their money. Its only worth 50,000 now. Buy it and rebadge then resell. LOL

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information