Cool Rides Online®
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards SYE! Featured Ride - November 2011

Default Rat's Nest rims don't fit

The rims and tires came in for the rat's nest yesterday. So this morning I headed down to Discount Tire to have them mounted

Well because they are a truck rum the back spacing was off. This was the thinnest rim available in this style. I have 3 inches of room between the back of the tire and the fender well. In front the tire won't clear the inside lip of the inside of the fender.

So I put the blue wheels back on and took the trailer back. Pulled out the axle from under the trailer.

While I had the trailer up on jack stands I noticed a bulge in the underbelly. I looked up in there and discovered an old rat's nest. How ironic?

Anyway I brought the axle in the garage and started cleaning up the 50 year old nuts & bolts.

Before:

After:

Since I had 3 inches of space behind the tire I decided to shorten the axle by 4 inches. This would suck in two inches from each side. This would give me an inch clearance in the inside and a 1/2 inch clearance to the outside. So I measured center then subtracted 2 inches from either side and cut out a 4 inch section of solid steel. I'm glad a friend loaned me his chop saw.

Tomorrow I'll weld the two halves and weld a square tube sleeve over the seam.

1950 Chevy
    John Deere black with Laser Blue flames
    355 hp / 405 trq

Bill L.A.N.C.B.I.M.A.
    Letters After Name Could Be Important, Mine Aren't

Hall of Fame Member john mastalerz's Avatar
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning TiresKicking the Tires
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2011CRO Ride of the Month Winner - January 2011CRO Member of the Week

Nice step by step coverage, great photos. I hope it all works out, seems like it should.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Rims look so sweet on there, your makin my teeth hurt! Whatever it takes, good luck.
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

Nice touch with the wheels.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog Contributor

A rat's nest on the Rat's Nest

Since I had 3 inches of space behind the tire I decided to shorten the axle by 4 inches. This would suck in two inches from each side. This would give me an inch clearance in the inside and a 1/2 inch clearance to the outside. So I measured center then subtracted 2 inches from either side and cut out a 4 inch section of solid steel. I'm glad a friend loaned me his chop saw.
    That's what I love this crowd! Anywhere else if it doesn't fit people say "Oh well, take it back and get a refund" - but not a gear-head! If it doesn't fit you just MAKE it fit!

You Will Respect My Authoritah!!

Exalted Member
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Member of the Week

Phrases a good gear head just doesn't understand...

It won't fit....
    That won't work...
    You can't do that...

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Phrases a good gear head just doesn't understand...

It won't fit....
    That won't work...
    You can't do that...
    The last two posts I've read from you have been nothing short of great!

ETA: Great project and determination Redneck! I would recommend stick welding an axle rather than the easier Mig. 7018 FTW! Unless it's cast iron, if it is you will have to go another route.
    Last edited by Gtdhw; 09-10-2011 at 12:12 AM.
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Exalted Member
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Gtdhw View Post
    The last two posts I've read from you have been nothing short of great!
    LOL, I race lawn mowers...doesn't that make me one of the Ultimate Gear heads?

It also proves I have a sense of humor, lol!

Seriously, I grew up a mechanics son, started racing at 8 or something, drove trucks, and now a machinist. Oil really does run through my veins, and I am one of the few that can Honestly claim when given the wife's "Me or racing" ultimatum....I won the heat and feature that weekend....rofl

If it ain't broke, you either won or wasn't trying hard enough!

Forgot that one earlier, lol!

Default Matching rims on The Fat Rat and The Rat's Nest

My friend Al and I finished the axle modification today.

We zip-tied the axle to a milk crate and jack stand. We made sure both halves were flush, level ans squared before welding. I know stick welder would be better, but a MIG is all we have. I got two feet of 1/4 inch thick walled square tubing. Slid that onto one of the halves. Al welded (Better welder than me) the two halves together. I grounded down the welds for a smooth finish. Slid the square tubing over and centered it on the axle. The weld for the 2 halves is now supported by a steel tube a foot in either direction. Then Al welded all sided of the tubing to the axle.

I ground and smoothed all the welds then primed the axle. I'll go back and paint it when I spray a rubberized under-coating on the bottom of the trailer.

Last edited by rednecks; 09-10-2011 at 08:55 AM.
    1950 Chevy
    355 hp / 405 trq

Bill L.A.N.C.B.I.M.A.

1950 Chevy
    355 hp / 405 trq

Bill L.A.N.C.B.I.M.A.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information