Cool Rides Online®
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Exalted Member
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Member of the Week

Default First Drag strip?

Wally Parks
    One could even argue that drag racing was born in Goltry, Okla., in 1913, with the birth of Wally Parks, who nearly four decades later would found drag racing's most successful and influential sanctioning body.
    Parks' family moved to California in the early 1920s, and Parks had an early interest in cars. He attended his first dry lake speed trials event in the 1930s, which whetted his fascination for performance. In 1937, Parks was one of the founders of the Road Runners Club.
    Organized drag racing
    In 1947, Parks, a military tank test-driver for General Motors who served in the army in the South Pacific in World War II, helped organize the Southern California Timing Association and later became its general manager.
    The first SCTA "Speed Week," held at the famed Bonneville Salt Flats in 1949, was the result of a diligent effort of Parks, then its executive secretary. It was here that racers first began running "against the clock" - actually, a stopwatch - coaxing their vehicles to accelerate quicker rather than simply to attain high top speeds.
    The first drag strip, the Santa Ana Drags, began running on an airfield in Southern California in 1950, and quickly gained popularity among the Muroc crowd because of its revolutionary computerized speed clocks.
    When Parks became editor of the monthly enthusiast magazine Hot Rod, he had the forum and the power to form the National Hot Rod Association in 1951 to "create order from chaos" by instituting safety rules and performance standards that helped legitimize the sport. He was its first president.

You can read the entire article :
    http://www.nhra.net/aboutnhr/history.html

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Exalted Member
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Member of the Week

The first Auto race started shortly after the second automobile was built!

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

I'm just interested in the first, and longest running strip on this side of the country.
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Hall of Fame Member john mastalerz's Avatar
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning TiresKicking the Tires
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2011CRO Ride of the Month Winner - January 2011CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Gtdhw View Post
    I'm just interested in the first, and longest running strip on this side of the country.
    Read poll here .... http://www.bangshift.com/blog/BangSh...Operation.html

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Looks like Old Dominian has Bunker Hill, Great Lakes, & Cordova beat by a couple years. Dragstrip founded in '53 (roundy-round founded in '52)

http://www.draglist.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5421
    Last edited by Gtdhw; 09-02-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning TiresKicking the Tires
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2011CRO Ride of the Month Winner - January 2011CRO Member of the Week

Damn, that Al Gore sure does get around! Then he goes on to invent the internet, LOL No seriously, I think Old Dominion was originaly an oval track that may have occasionaly held drag races on it. I don't think they did on a regular basis. Sounds like a muti use facility at best for its' time. As in this link ... http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks...HistoricalNote
    states it was a dirt oval in 1952. Question is, did they hold drag races each and every week. I think not, don't know of any dirt drag racing. If they did use the straightaways for drags, who sanctioned it ? But as I've said before, everyone likes to lay claim that they were the first.

Quote Originally Posted by john mastalerz View Post
    Damn, that Al Gore sure does get around! Then he goes on to invent the internet, LOL No seriously, I think Old Dominion was originaly an oval track that may have occasionaly held drag races on it. I don't think they did on a regular basis. Sounds like a muti use facility at best for its' time. As in this link ... http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks...HistoricalNote
    states it was a dirt oval in 1952. Question is, did they hold drag races each and every week. I think not, don't know of any dirt drag racing. If they did use the straightaways for drags, who sanctioned it ? But as I've said before, everyone likes to lay claim that they were the first.
    Yep. From now on I will lay claim to my home strip being the first strip in Indiana. No else can make the same claim and I don't look like an idiot.

ETA: I think the strip was separate from the oval, but still dirt. From Wikipedia..."The drag strip was originally an 1/8 mile dirt strip that quite possibly held the first ever official sanctioned drag race."
    http://"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki...inion_Speedway
    Last edited by Gtdhw; 09-02-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Hehe, Hey, you going to the NATS at IRP this weekend?

No. Another year that I'm not going to be able to make it. Tomorrow was my only hope, but I have to stay home and be Dad while Mom goes out. Jesse would be no problem to take, but my 3 year old, yeah.......um.......no.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information