Cool Rides Online®
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Default Someone snuck in the burnout box and installed a gear dive on my Vega

Or at least that's what it sounded like coming out of the box on the last run of the night.

I pulled to a stop before staging and thought WTF? It really sounded like a noisy gear drive! I put in N and revved, not the motor, put it in 1 and lunged and braked an a time or two, not the brakes, it's not the rear end because I'm sitting still....I'm running it!

By the end of the pass it was still howling and I was down to <12 volts on the gauge. Figured the alt belt came of and got hung up. Get back to the pits and pull the hood and the belt was still there doing it's job. A quick touch to the alt resulted in almost immediate burns. It was HOT! I pulled the belt and fired it up, no noise. I went ahead and trailed it home after taking the Camaro home. I hate to trailer the Vega anywhere, but it had started to rain and with my fuel line running right over the alt (heat & gas), I just did not want to chance bad things happening at 1am on a Sunday Morning. Spent 15 min swapping alternators Sunday morning and all is well.
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorSTA-BIL Featured Ride - May 2011CRO Member of the Week

Glad ya got home safe N an easy fix! I Fired the GTO for the 1st time,.. finally!
    Always keep em smokin,,,,then let er drift!

Hall of Fame Member john mastalerz's Avatar
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning TiresKicking the Tires
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2011CRO Ride of the Month Winner - January 2011CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Gtdhw View Post
    Or at least that's what it sounded like coming out of the box on the last run of the night.

I pulled to a stop before staging and thought WTF? It really sounded like a noisy gear drive! I put in N and revved, not the motor, put it in 1 and lunged and braked an a time or two, not the brakes, it's not the rear end because I'm sitting still....I'm running it!

By the end of the pass it was still howling and I was down to <12 volts on the gauge. Figured the alt belt came of and got hung up. Get back to the pits and pull the hood and the belt was still there doing it's job. A quick touch to the alt resulted in almost immediate burns. It was HOT! I pulled the belt and fired it up, no noise. I went ahead and trailed it home after taking the Camaro home. I hate to trailer the Vega anywhere, but it had started to rain and with my fuel line running right over the alt (heat & gas), I just did not want to chance bad things happening at 1am on a Sunday Morning. Spent 15 min swapping alternators Sunday morning and all is well.
    Man, your luck has has running a little thin lately. It could have been a lot worse though. Glad to see you got it home.

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Justa6 View Post
    Glad ya got home safe N an easy fix! I Fired the GTO for the 1st time,.. finally!
    Sweet! There's a story in there somewhere right?

Quote Originally Posted by john mastalerz View Post
    Man, your luck has has running a little thin lately. It could have been a lot worse though. Glad to see you got it home.
    I'm not complaining. Still scoring points in both cars and it's the first issue I've had with the Vega this season, and it was small. The alt was old. I ran it on my '72 Blazer for 10 years before swapping onto the Vega. It served me well.

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog Contributor

Question

I'm not complaining. Still scoring points in both cars and it's the first issue I've had with the Vega this season, and it was small. The alt was old. I ran it on my '72 Blazer for 10 years before swapping onto the Vega. It served me well.
    Strange subject line -- haven't read other threads yet so sorry if it's posted elsewhere but how'd you do on both for the night?

You Will Respect My Authoritah!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Manzano View Post
    Strange subject line -- haven't read other threads yet so sorry if it's posted elsewhere but how'd you do on both for the night?
    Went two rounds in the Camaro. Was able to jump a spot in points (to 9th) by racing and beating the guy in front of me. Second round got beat in a good race by Moparmxz (who has had a great run the last few weeks and has moved squarely into third place in S/P points.)

Went four rounds in the Vega. Got beat in the 4th round by a guy who laid down a .007 RT and ran dead on with a .001 (8.211 on a 8.21 dial). That's a .008 package in SPORTSMAN!! I had a very nice .010 RT and ran a 8.14 on a 8.13 dial. The race was over at the launch since he only gave me a .008 window and I used .010 on m RT alone. At Bunker Hill, a .027 package just isn't good enough anymore in Sportsman. That's some tough racing...

I was able to gain 15 points which put me in a tie for first place in Sportsman points with three races left until Indy. Also put 27 points between us & 3rd place (who is also the defending Sportsman Champ). Good night of racing!
    Last edited by Gtdhw; 08-13-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning TiresKicking the Tires
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2011CRO Ride of the Month Winner - January 2011CRO Member of the Week

Ah, good 'ol bracket racing. It's a numbers game !

Man I used to run a Pete Jackson gear drive for about ten years in my Camaro. I know that sound well.

Exalted Member
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Member of the Week

Well your sitting good in the points and have had 2 problems, one of which could have been completely catastrophic and wasn't....sounds like the Gear Gods are watching over you, lol!

Keep ripping and you will have a good finish to the season!

Losing to a .008 with a .02 is nothing to be ashamed of for sure! I know I am a little "old school" but I still call a .02 a good run!

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information