Cool Rides Online®
    Rookie Member
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements At the Starting LineKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Member of the Week

Default Cissy Ogan's Hemi Powered Studebaker in Abilene

Thought I'd introduce myself and my 1964 Studebaker Wagonaire which is here in Abilene, TX. My husband bought the car for me about 10 years ago from an internet dealer in Florida. At that time it had an under-powered 259ci OHV V-8 with a three-on-the-tree, whose first gear was too tall & third too short for normal driving. "Armstrong Steering" made it so only my husband had the arms to drive it and the brakes were dangerous at best. I wanted to keep it stock, but had to finally give in to allowing him to improve it. It took several years and too much money because the shops that he took it to had problems and we had to have the same work done more than once. It now has a Mustang II Style Coil Over Suspension, with Power Rack and Pinion Steering and four-wheel power disc brakes (all vast improvements over OEM). My husband selected a 5.7 Dodge Truck Hemi and Five-Speed Automatic to transplant. He had dual exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers installed but it was too loud so another shop installed some "cans" in back but you can still hear it coming! Because the truck the engine and transmission came from was so much heavier than the Studebaker, the Nine-Inch Ford Rear has a Detroit Locker with 4.11 gears and the power "chrips" the tires when it shifts and I have to be very light on the accelerator or the tires protest. He says, if he can find a "hand-held tunner" he can probably get it to start out and shift more softly, but he has to be careful that it doesn't reactivate the anti-theft part of the computer. It took five times to get the right one from the shop in Arkansas, so we don't want to have to go through that again. We are having a stereo shop build a console around the Dodge Floor Shifter and put in a small (motorcycle) 100 Watt Amp with two 5&1/2" two-way speakers to plug in our 16 GB I-Pod as we don't want to remove the OEM AM Radio which doesn't work but looks nice. The "Classic Gauges" look very similar to OEM but they are digital so work with the new power-train. With the Ididit Column we couldn't use the OEM steering wheel so my husband bought the nicest he could find, a Rosewood - Banjo Grant (nice touch)! We have put pictures on an album here but here are a few.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewPics-Hemi-Powered-64-Studebaker-Wagon 001.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewPics-Hemi-Powered-64-Studebaker-Wagon 003.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewPics-Hemi-Powered-64-Studebaker-Wagon 005.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewPics-Hemi-Powered-64-Studebaker-Wagon 008.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	250  
    Last edited by thecarphotoguy1; 07-28-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Hall of Fame Member john mastalerz's Avatar
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning TiresKicking the Tires
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2011CRO Ride of the Month Winner - January 2011CRO Member of the Week

Wow ! That's a little sleeper.

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Welcome to the site!

Love the Wagon
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

Thread Information