Cool Rides Online®
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Default If you had the choice 327 or 350?

I have a 350 that I was getting ready to do a complete rebuild on to have as a faster, spare motor for the Vega. Well, I just got given a '63 327 block and matching GM forged crank. I ran all the numbers and know what the block and crank are.

For a street/strip car which would you prefer to build?

The 350 would have worked over aluminum heads, flat tappett hydraulic cam, forged pistons/crank and would have roughly 425hp.

The 327 would also have worked over aluminum heads, came with forged dome pistons, & roller cam and lifters. The guy who bought the parts for the 327 said he was wanting to "squeeze as much as 327 had to give".

Given the choice, which would you rather drive? I have no experience with a 327 other than knowing that they rev higher.

ETA: I do know that I the 327 requires an intake that has the oil fill tube, and that the crank case vent tube is at the rear of the block instead of in the valve cover.
    Last edited by Gtdhw; 06-07-2011 at 08:02 PM.
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Exalted Member
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Member of the Week

No replacement for cubic displacement.....

Hall of Fame Member john mastalerz's Avatar
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning TiresKicking the Tires
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2011CRO Ride of the Month Winner - January 2011CRO Member of the Week

While the 327 was a good engine in it's day, capable of producing some serious HP for it's size, it depends on higher rpm to produce it due to it's short stroke. The bores are the same. I don't think they came with 4 bolt mains. I also believe the crank main journals are a smaller diameter than the 350. I think a would stick with the more modern 350 as said above, you can't beat displacement. The longer stroke also will help with torque. Just my opinion.

Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning TiresKicking the Tires
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2011CRO Ride of the Month Winner - January 2011CRO Member of the Week

On another note, seems everyone is building stroked 383's making some good numbers. You may want to look into that.

Exalted Member
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Member of the Week

Or better yet, trade both them meeses for a Rat :D

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

I just gave the pistons (TRW, new, in the box) that came with the block a good look over and found that they all have been matched to within a 1/2 gram of each other. I also discovered that they are 14.1!

Think these would run on 87? lol.

Starting with 87 octane, as good 104 octane booster is, I don't think it would help much. Those pistons have gotta have huge domes on them! :D

Monsters! Will take a pic after dinner.

ETA: My 406 is 14.8, it runs fine on 112, but could use 114.

These would be 112 min. as well would be my guess...

Alright, after weeding out the bad info on the internetz, this is what I know. These are Speed Pro 7000P's from the late '90's. They're the same as the L2211f's that TRW made before being bought out by Federal-Mogul (Speed Pro). They are forged, 11.86:1 (when used with 64cc heads) with a .350 dome.

MUCH better! From what I can gather, it will still be tough to build this motor with any kind of "real" streetability. The cr will require 110 fuel, and with the 119566 Crane roller cam that it came with (6xx/6xx lift, 4500-8200rpm power band, still researching since it's from the '90's as well and Crane is no longer), I think a 4500 stahl (min) will be required.

Last edited by Gtdhw; 06-16-2011 at 05:24 AM.

Which car is this going into?

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information