Cool Rides Online®
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Exalted Member
    Achievements & AwardsActivity StatsUser info
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Member of the Week

Default Polishing Aluminum

Does anyone have any tips on Polishing ALuminum.
    I am doing a show with the mower this weekend and I have never been good at shining up the wheels. Some one told me The Power Ball is the ticket.
    Anybody use one? what do you put on it?

Biggest Question...can you guys clean up a greasy old gear head dirt tracker for the show?

Hall of Fame Member john mastalerz's Avatar
    Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning TiresKicking the Tires
    Awards 104+ Featured Ride - January 2011CRO Ride of the Month Winner - January 2011CRO Member of the Week

Yep, Mothers' power ball is good. I 've used it, works great. Use Mothers' aluminun polish or any good metal polish. Good luck.

Achievements Wide Open ThrottleAt the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasBurning Tires
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO ChampionCRO Blog ContributorCRO Featured Ride - June 2011CRO Member of the Week

Mothers on a rag with finger tips and lots of elbow grease. I was not impressed with the powerball I ended up tossing it in the trash. The old fashion way sucks, but will yield the best results. Also, put a coat of good wax on after the polish. It will help retain the shine.

(was professional detailer for 5 years)
    If winning was easy, then the losers would be winners.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.

Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpStepping on the GasKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

Bare aluminum and alloy wheels need the most care. Aluminum wheels oxidize much faster than other types. The amount of time required to polish aluminum wheels depends on their condition. It is usually easier to polish them more often. To polish aluminum wheels, use duct tape to guard the tire from the polish staining it. The duct tape will not leave any residue on the tire, yet it will stick unlike many other types of tape. Polish the alloy wheels using a cream aluminum polish. Apply using a soft towel or diaper. Polish in the direction of the wheel. Use moderate pressure and turn the towel often. The towel will turn black from the aluminum-polishing residue. A terry towel may be used on severely oxidized wheels to rough them in, followed by a soft diaper to finish. When satisfied with the renovation to the wheel, wipe the majority of the excess polish from the wheel. To final polish and increase the gloss of the polished wheel, wipe the wheel with cornstarch. Cornstarch can be purchased at any supermarket. Dip the clean towel into the box and wipe the wheel thoroughly with the cornstarch. The cornstarch will absorb the excess polish from the pores of the aluminum and eliminate any streaks in the finish. To remove any cornstarch powder, use compressed air. Very severely oxidized wheels may be wet sanded with a very fine wet or dry sanding paper prior to polishing. If you are unsure about sanding aluminum wheels, it is better to consult a professional rather than risk damage to the wheel.
    "As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

US NAVY RETIRED

Exalted Member

Thanks for the help, I have always been more "go" than "show", especially in the dirt. Just doesn't make sense some of the time guys put into their mowchines to go sling dirt at each other to me I guess, lol!
    But as I go to more car shows I want to get my Mower looking it's best. It will never be show car quality for the simple fact that it is a racer! I do try to keep it at its best however!

Achievements Buckling UpAt the Starting LineKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges
    Awards CRO Ride of the Month Winner - June 2013ISO-HEET Featured Ride - June 2013

Default try Adam's or GORD'S

Both companies make a good polish for Aluminum. You can find them online at www.adamspolishes.com and www.gords.us this is the two products that I use on Aluminum to detail my rides for shows. Another good one is from Hilustre its called Silver Bullet you can find them at www.Hilustre.com
    Last edited by big al; 06-01-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Achievements At the Starting LineBuckling UpKicking the TiresChecking the Gauges

You may want to check this out as well, all kinds of polishing metal stuff.

http://www.eastwood.com/buffing.html

Blog Entries
    Achievements Checkered FlagWide Open ThrottleBurning TiresBuckling UpStepping on the Gas
    Awards CRO ChampionCRO Blog Contributor

from my military days, I've been a fan of the Brasso brand of polishers - it claims to work on aluminum but never tried it for that before

You Will Respect My Authoritah!!

marcel dont you mean never dull???????
    lol
    "As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

US NAVY RETIRED

Exalted Member

Lol..I have 4 cans of never dull, it does work good...but my elbows are getting old!

Share This Thread!

Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information